|Full name||Louis Matthew Bird|
|Date of birth||31 October 1990|
|Place of birth||Grimsby, England|
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|2009||→ Frickley Athletic (loan)||5||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Frickley Athletic (loan)||2||(0)|
|2010||→ Boston United (loan)||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 11:18, 19 December 2009 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
He played in the Football League for Grimsby Town, as well as playing for Frickley Athletic and Boston United on loan. He last played for Northern Premier League Division One South side Goole and after leaving through the club through injury he didn't return to the game at a competitive level.
Bird came through the youth team Grimsby Town. He was invited to trial with Manchester United in January 2008 but this was cut short due to a recurring knee injury. Bird signed his first professional contract in March 2008, tying him to Grimsby Town until 2010, with youth team coach Neil Woods saying, "He's got great potential. He's 6ft 1in, left-footed, got good pace, and I think that it's the right move at this time for Matthew and for us." He made his first-team debut as a substitute in a 0–1 defeat to Rotherham United in April 2008. Bird played no part in the 2008–2009 season, failing to even make the subs bench under Alan Buckley and his replacement Mike Newell
After failing to make a single first team appearance in little under two years, Bird was loaned too Frickley Athletic on 5 November 2009. Bird returned to Blundell Park a month later on 5 December, but returned to Frickley again for a second spell on the 21st. Bird signed for Boston United on loan in March 2010. Whilst in his month loan spell with United, he helped them to promotion from the Unibond Premier League via the play-offs to ensure Boston United play football in the Conference North next season.
Bird was released by Grimsby Town on 12 May 2010. He re-joined Frickley Athletic ahead of the 2010–2011 season. In October 2010 he joined Goole. He left Goole in January 2011 after suffering an injury that had kept him on the sidelines since October.
|Club||Season||League||Level||League||FA Cup||League Cup||FL Trophy||Total|
|Grimsby Town||2007–08||League Two||4||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Frickley Athletic (loan)||2009–10||NPL Premier Division||7||7||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||7||0|
|Boston United (loan)||2009–10||NPL Premier Division||7||5||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||5||0|
- Hugman, Barry J. (ed) (2008). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2008–09. Mainstream. ISBN 978-1-84596-324-8.
- "Matthew Bird". Profiles. Grimsby Town FC. Retrieved 10 August 2008.
- "Bird's Man Utd trial is cut short". BBC Sport. 24 January 2008. Retrieved 10 August 2008.
- "Football League round-up". Northampton Chronicle and Echo (England). 13 March 2008. "GRIMSBY have rewarded teenage defender Matthew Bird with his first professional contract. The young centre-half ... has committed himself to the Mariners until 2010. Grimsby youth team coach Neil Woods said: "He's got great potential. He's 6ft 1in, left-footed, got good pace, and I think that it's the right move at this time for Matthew and for us."
- "Games played by Matthew Bird in 2007/2008". Soccerbase. Racing Post. Retrieved 10 August 2008.