|Mayor Bogusz Leading a Des Plaines City Council Meeting|
|Mayor of Des Plaines, Illinois|
May 6, 2013
|Preceded by||Marty Moylan|
November 14, 1986 |
Des Plaines, Illinois
|Residence||Des Plaines, Illinois|
|Alma mater||Northwestern University|
|Occupation||Advertising & Media Professional|
Matthew Bogusz is the current Mayor of Des Plaines, Illinois and began his term of office in May 2013.
Early life and education
Bogusz was born on November 14, 1986 in Des Plaines, Illinois, where he has lived his whole life. He attended Notre Dame College Prep in Niles, Illinois, where he was the student council president. While in high school, Bogusz earned the Eagle Scout rank in 2004. He then attended Northwestern University, as a Chick Evans Scholar, where he met his wife Kaitlyn while a member of the Associated Student Government. He graduated in 2008.
In 2006, Bogusz was appointed to the Des Plaines Special Events Commission. The following year, in 2007, he was appointed a Des Plaines Library Trustee. In 2009, Bogusz, at 22, was elected a City of Des Plaines Alderman of the 3rd ward, earning 73% of the vote in a three-way race. While an alderman, Bogusz was variously chairman of the Des Plaines Finance and Administration Committee. He also served on the Public Works Committee and the Legal and Licensing Committee.
Bogusz was elected the Mayor of the City of Des Plaines on April 9, 2013. He received 55% of the vote in a three-way race, defeating former Mayor Anthony Arredia, who received 32%, and Alderman Mark Walsten, who received 13%. Bogusz is the youngest mayor in Des Plaines's history.
During his first year as mayor, Bogusz streamlined the procedure to get a business license from the City of Des Plaines from eight weeks to two weeks. In 2014, Mayor Bogusz budgeted nearly $22 million in capital improvements, a five-fold increase from 2009, as well as starting a "Curb Appeal Challenge" for residences and business to increase the city's quality of life. Also during Bogusz's first year as mayor, Crain's Chicago Business distinguished Bogusz as a member of their 2014 "Twenty in their 20's" class. Bogusz's current term of office expires in May 2017.
- "Des Plaines mayor-elect young, not inexperienced". Daily Herald. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Bullington, Jonathan (11 April 2013). "Des Plaines' new mayor preps to lead city — and exchange rings". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Paolelli, Matt. "Young Alumnus Elected Mayor of Des Plaines". Northwestern University. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "April 09, 2013 Consolidated General Election Mayor, City of Des Plaines Township & Precinct Results". Suburban Cook County Election Results. Cook County Clerk's Office. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- Brinckerhoff, Christopher. "Des Plaines Elects Youngest Mayor in City’s History". Patch.com. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "Mayor Bogusz's Curb Appeal Challenge". Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Crain's Chicago Business Twenty in their 20's". Retrieved 5 May 2014.
|This article about a mayor in Illinois is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|