2012 Australian Paralympic Team portrait of Levy
|Born||11 January 1987 (age 27)|
Matt Levy, OAM (born 11 January 1987) is an Australian Paralympic swimmer.
Matthew John Levy has cerebral palsy and a vision impairment due to being born 15 weeks premature. He attended St Andrew's Cathedral School in Sydney. He works at St.George Bank and lives in Sydney.
Levy first competed for Australia in 2003; that year, he broke the 200 m freestyle short course world record. He competed but did not win any medals at the 2004 Athens Games. He competed at the 2006 IPC Swimming World Championships and won four silver and four bronze medals at the 2007 Telstra Short Course Championships. At the 2008 Beijing Games, he won a gold medal in the Men's 4x100 m Medley 34 pts event. At the 2010 IPC Swimming World Championships, he won a gold medal in the men's 4x100 m freestyle relay event, two silver medals in the 100 m breaststroke and 100 m freestyle events, and two bronze medals in the 50 m butterfly and 200 m individual medley events. Levy is classified as an S8 swimmer and he trains at the Australian Institute of Sport.
At the 2012 London Paralympics he won five medals: a gold medal in the Men's 4 x 100 m Freestyle Relay 34 Points, a silver medal in the Men's 100 m Freestyle S7, and three bronze medals in the Men's 200 m Individual Medley SM7, Men's 100 m Breaststroke SB7 and Men's 4 x 100 m Medley Relay 34 Points. He also participated in the Men's 400 m Freestyle S7, Men's 50 m Butterfly S7 and Men's 50 m Freestyle S7 events.
Competing at the 2013 IPC Swimming World Championships in Montreal, he won two gold medals in the Men's 200 m Individual Medley S7 and Men's 4x100 m Freestyle Relay (34 points) and a silver medal in the Men's 100 m Freestyle S7.
|Wikinews has related news: Paralympic swim world records tumble at Australian championships|
|Wikinews has related news: 2012 Australian Paralympic swim team announced|
- "Matt Levy". Australian Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Australia Day honours list 2014: in full". Daily Telegraph. 26 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Bannister, Laura (7 September 2009). "Water Boys: St Andrew's Victories Make a Splash". St Andrew's Cathedral School. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- "Athlete Search Results". International Paralympic Committee. Retrieved 2 February 2012.
- Wake 2010, p. 4
- Matthew Levy's profile on paralympic.org. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "Men's relay team back it up in Montreal". Swimming Australia News. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 16 August 2013.
- "Twenty-seven medals for the Australian swim team in Montreal". Swimming Australia News. 19 August 2013. Retrieved 20 August 2013.
- Wake, Rebekka (September 2010). "Golden Glow Over Australian Swimming". Australian Paralympian (Australia: Australian Paralympic Committee) 2.