Lowton playing for Sheffield United in 2011
|Full name||Matthew John Lowton|
|Date of birth||9 June 1989|
|Place of birth||Chesterfield, England|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Playing position||Right back|
|Current club||Aston Villa|
|2008||→ Sheffield (loan)||18||(0)|
|2009–2010||→ Ferencváros (loan)||18||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21:28, 21 August 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Chesterfield, Derbyshire, Lowton joined Sheffield United aged fifteen after a brief spell with Leeds United and progressed through Sheffield United's youth set up to reserve level, converting from a full-back to a central defensive role in the process.
After spending a spell on loan at Sheffield F.C in 2008, in January 2009 Lowton went out on loan to Sheffield United's Hungarian sister club Ferencváros, along with fellow reserve player Sam Wedgbury, to get first-team experience. He made his début in the Hungarian League Cup the next month, making eighteen appearances before returning to United towards the end of the season.
Back in the Championship, Lowton found himself on the fringes of the first team and duly made his Blades début in the 1–1 draw with Cardiff City at the end of March, coming on as a late substitute before making his full début for the club in the final game of the season.
The following season, Lowton started Sheffield United's opening day fixture, away to Cardiff City, but was issued with a straight red card. Despite this setback, he returned to the first-team picture and was rewarded with a new contract at the end of September. Lowton continued a run of substitute appearances and rewarded United's faith by scoring his first senior goal in mid-October, netting in a 3–3 home draw with Burnley. He played regularly for the remainder of the season, scoring four goals in all, but couldn't prevent the club from slipping to relegation.
With the Blades in League One, Lowton remained a key player and was rewarded with an extended contract in August 2011.
Lowton completed a move to Aston Villa on 6 July 2012 for an undisclosed fee believed to be £3 million, becoming Paul Lambert's second signing as Villa manager. Following his move to Aston Villa, Lowton stated that he hopes to emulate former Sheffield United player Phil Jagielka in reaching the England squad. He scored his first goal for Villa in a pre-season friendly against Portland Timbers. He made his debut on 18 August 2012, in the Premier League against West Ham United. He made his home debut on 25 August, in a 3–1 defeat to Everton. On 15 September, he scored his first league goal for Aston Villa in a 2–0 home win against Swansea City. On 6 April 2013, Lowton scored his second league goal in a 3–1 win at Stoke City with a volley from 35 yards. On 19 July 2013, Lowton signed a new four-year deal to keep him at Aston Villa until Summer 2017.
- As of 17 August 2013.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Continental||Other||Total|
|Sheff Utd Total||78||10||3||0||2||0||0||0||6||0||89||10|
|Aston Villa Total||42||2||2||0||6||0||0||0||0||0||50||2|
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 259. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- "Matthew Lowton – Sheffield United Profile". Sheffield United F.C. 2 January 2008. Retrieved 14 February 2009.
- "Lowton Makes Debut". sheffieldfc.com. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Kecskemet 0–0 Ferencvaros – match report". Sheffield United F.C. 10 February 2009. Retrieved 10 February 2009.
- "Lowton re-signs". Sheffield United F.C. 29 September 2010. Retrieved 30 September 2010.
- "Sheer elation for Matt". sheffieldunited-mad.co.uk. 17 October 2010. Retrieved 7 November 2010.
- "Lowton sets his sights on top-flight after signing deal". The Sheffield Star. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 12 August 2010.
- "Lowton Signs for Aston Villa". dailymail.co.uk. 6 July 2012. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "Aston Villa's Matt Lowton aims to emulate Phil Jagielka". BBC Sport. 9 July 2012. Retrieved 12 July 2012.
- "USA Tour match report: Timbers 2–2 Villa [Villa win on pens]". Aston Villa Football Club. 25 July 2012. Retrieved 2 August 2012.
- "West Ham 1–0 Aston Villa" BBC Sport. 18 August 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Aston Villa 1–3 Everton" BBC Sport. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Aston Villa 2–0 Swansea" BBC Sport. 15 September 2012. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Goal of the day: Matthew Lowton (Aston Villa) vs Stoke". inside World Soccer. 7 April 2013.
- "Lowton signs new Villa deal". The Sun. 19 July 2013. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Matthew Lowton career stats at Soccerbase