Reinhart at the 2012 New York Comic Con.
|Born||Matthew Christian Reinhart
September 21, 1971
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
|Occupation||Pop-up book and picture book writer/illustrator|
Matthew Christian Reinhart (born 21 September 1971) is an American writer and illustrator of children's pop-up books and picture books. His most recent books, including Star Wars: The Pop-up Guide to the Galaxy, Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Other Magical Creatures (with Robert Sabuda), and Brava, Strega Nona! (with Tomie DePaola and Robert Sabuda) have received much popular and critical acclaim.
Matthew Christian Reinhart was born September 21, 1971 in Cedar Rapids, Iowa to Gary and Judith Reinhart. After Gary joined the U.S. Navy, Matthew and his younger sister, Erin, moved around the United States with their family, living in Florida, Texas, Illinois, California, Virginia and South Carolina. Art was an important part of Reinhart's life since childhood. He drew constantly, as drawing and making crafts were his favorite activities. After high school, however, Reinhart felt a career in art was unlikely, and biology at Clemson University in South Carolina in preparation for medical school. However, this did not satisfy him, and he took various art courses in addition to his required science courses in order to build up a portfolio. After graduation, he moved to New York City for a year before starting medical school. In New York, he met children’s book author Robert Sabuda, with whom Reinhart did volunteer work for a local community center. After Sabuda's book, Christmas Alphabet, was released to positive reviews, he convinced Reinhart to follow his true calling. The following year, Reinhart attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn as an industrial design major, concentrating in toy design, though his interests eventually evolved to paper engineering.
After working with Sabuda on books such as The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, A B C Disney and Movable Mother Goose, Reinhart made his first entry into the pop-up book field with The Pop Up Book Of Phobias.
Reinhart has created many award-winning pop-up books, including Cinderella, Star Wars: The Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy and Mommy? (by Maurice Sendak and Arthur Yorinks). He is the co-creator with Robert Sabuda of the New York Times best-selling three-volume pop-up series Encyclopedia Prehistorica. The team’s latest pop-up series is Encyclopedia Mythologica which leads off with Fairies and Magical Creatures (Candlewick, 2008).
- Greenberg, Gary; Rubess, Balvis; Reinhart, Matthew (1999), The Pop-up Book of Phobias, HarperEntertainment, ISBN 0688171958
- Greenberg, Gary; Rubess, Balvis; Reinhart, Matthew (2001), The Pop-up Book of Nightmares, St. Martin's Press, ISBN 031228263X
- Reinhart, Matthew; Sabuda, Robert (2001), Young Naturalist's Pop-Up Handbook: Butterflies, Hyperion, ISBN 0786805587
- Reinhart, Matthew; Sabuda, Robert (2001), Young Naturalist's Pop-Up Handbook: Beetles, Hyperion, ISBN 0786805579
- Reinhart, Matthew (2002), Animal Popposites: A Pop-Up Book of Opposites, Little Simon, ISBN 0689844239
- Reinhart, Matthew (2005), The Ark: A Pop-up, Little Simon, ISBN 0689859090
- Sabuda, Robert; Reinhart, Matthew (2005), Encyclopedia Prehistorica: Dinosaurs, Candlewick, ISBN 0763622281
- Reinhart, Matthew (2005), Cinderella: A Pop-up Fairy Tale, Little Simon, ISBN 1416905014
- Sabuda, Robert; Reinhart, Matthew (2006), Encyclopedia Prehistorica: Sharks and Other Sea Monsters, Candlewick, ISBN 076362229X
- Sendak, Maurice; Yorinks, Arthur; Reinhart, Matthew (2006), Mommy?, Michael di Capua Books / Scholastic, ISBN 0439880505
- Reinhart, Matthew (2006), The Jungle Book: A Pop-Up Adventure, Little Simon, ISBN 1416918248
- Sabuda, Robert; Reinhart, Matthew (2007), Encyclopedia Prehistorica: Mega-Beasts, Candlewick, ISBN 0763622303
- Reinhart, Matthew (2007), Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy, Orchard Books, ISBN 0439882826
- Reinhart, Matthew; Sabuda, Robert (2008), Encyclopedia Mythologica: Fairies and Magical Creatures, Walker Books Ltd., ISBN 1406313335
- Sabuda, Robert; Reinhart, Matthew (2008), Brava, Strega Nona!, Putnam Juvenile, ISBN 0399244530
- Reinhart, Matthew (2010), DC Super Heroes: The Ultimate Pop-Up Book, Little, Brown and Company, ISBN 0316019984
- Reinhart, Matthew (2012), Star Wars: A Galactic Pop-up Adventure, Scholastic Inc, ISBN 9780545442466
- Reinhart, Matthew (2013), Transformers: The Ultimate Pop-up Universe, Little, Brown Books
- Reinhart, Matthew (2003), Young Naturalist's Handbook: Insect-lo-pedia, Hyperion, ISBN 0786805595
- Palatini, Margie; Reinhart, Matthew (2007), No Biting, Louise, Katherine Tegen Books, ISBN 0060526270
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (October 2012)|
- Pogue, David (November 11, 2007), "A Galaxy in Your Face", The New York Times (November 11), retrieved December 2, 2008
- "CHILDREN'S BEST SELLERS: PICTURE BOOKS", The New York Times (December 23), December 23, 2007, retrieved December 2, 2008
- "CHILDREN'S BEST SELLERS: PICTURE BOOKS", The New York Times (August 10), August 10, 2008, retrieved December 2, 2008
- "CHILDREN'S BEST SELLERS: PICTURE BOOKS", The New York Times (November 28), 2008, retrieved December 2, 2008
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matthew Reinhart.|