|Born||Matthew Woodring Stover
January 29, 1962
|Genres||Science fiction, Fantasy|
Matthew Woodring Stover (born 1962) is an American fantasy and science fiction novelist. He is perhaps best known for his four Star Wars novels, including the novelization of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. He has also written several fantasy novels, including Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon. He has written four science-fiction/fantasy hybrid stories featuring a hero named Caine: Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, and Caine Black Knife, with the most recent, Caine's Law, released April 4, 2012.
Stover graduated in 1983 from Drake University and settled in Chicago for many years, before relocating to St. Petersburg, Florida. He is an avid martial artist and a student of the Degerberg Blend, a Jeet Kune Do concept that mixes approximately twenty-five different fighting arts from around the world. This combat style influences the way Stover writes his fight scenes, for which he has won considerable acclaim. He is also the founder and self-described "international grandmaster" of a parodic self-defense system he calls Huàn Dao ("Way of the Hedgehog"), which he has described as "self-defense for people too lazy to train and too smart to fight." He says the system was inspired by a passage from the ancient Greek soldier-poet Archilochos: "The fox is swift and clever and knows many tricks, yet still he is taken by the hounds. The hedgehog is slow and dull, and knows only one trick -- but it is a very good trick." He sometimes refers to Huan Dao as "Fatmattjitsu."
His non-Star Wars novels have garnered a smaller but loyal audience, primarily for the Acts of Caine cycle. As for future Star Wars novels, Stover has said that he would be interested in writing the final adventure of the heroic trio of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia.
Barra & Co.
- Iron Dawn (May 1997) ISBN 0-451-45590-8, (April 1998) ISBN 0-451-45589-4
- Jericho Moon (April 1998) ISBN 0-451-45678-5, (Sept. 1999) ISBN 0-451-45758-7
- Heart of Bronze (1998 SFBC omnibus Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon) ISBN 1-56865-741-2
The Acts of Caine
- Heroes Die (Act of Violence) (1997)
- Blade of Tyshalle (Act of War) (2001)
- Caine Black Knife (Act of Atonement, Book One) (2008)
- Caine's Law (Act of Atonement, Book Two) (April 3, 2012)
- Act of Faith Trilogy (possibly forthcoming)
- Dead Man's Heart (Act of Remembrance) (possibly forthcoming)
- Traitor (The New Jedi Order) (2002)
- Shatterpoint (A Clone Wars Novel) (2004)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
- Star Wars on Trial: Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Debate the Most Popular Science Fiction Films of All Time (2006)
- Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor (December 2008)
- God of War (with Robert E. Vardeman) (May 2010)
- Test of Metal: A Planeswalker Novel (Magic: The Gathering) (October 2010)
- "Precursor" from Legends: Tales from the Eternal Archive (1999) ISBN 0-88677-823-9
- "Br'er Robert" (2001)
- "Equipment" from the Star Wars Short Story Collection (2003)
- "In the Sorrows" (2005, The Acts of Caine)
- "The Persian, the Coon, and Bullets" from the anthology Catopolis (2008) ISBN 978-0-7564-0514-4
- "South Side Whipsaw: A Brock Steele Adventure" from Conquering Science Fiction (2009)
- "The Tenebrous Way" (2011) from Star Wars Insider #130
- Suvudu Cage Match 2012
- "A Friend in Thark" from A Princess of Mars (The Annotated Edition) and New Tales of the Red Planet (2012) ISBN 978-0-9854257-0-8
- Terminal Kill (2011)
- Her Demise (2011)
- Knights of the Revenant (2012)
- Stover, Matthew (January 31, 2011). "The original Matthew Stover novels now available on fsand.com!". OverWorld.tv.
- Stover, Matthew (October 9, 2008). "For the record:". StoverBlog.
- Stover, Matthew (October 15, 2001). Matthew Woodring Stover Interview. Interview with Gabe Chouinard. http://www.fantasticmetropolis.com/i/stover/full.
- Stover, Matthew Woodring (October 2001). "Br’er Robert". Fantastic Metropolis.
- Stover, Matthew (July 2003). "Star Wars Short Story Collection" (PDF). StarWars.com.
- Stover, Matthew Woodring (May 2005). "In the Sorrows". Desert Words.
- "Conquering Science Fiction". Publication Listing. ISFDb. August 20, 2009.
- Stover, Matthew. "Cage Match 2012, Round 1: Caine versus Paksenarrion", 05 March 2012
- Stover, Matthew. "Cage Match 2012, Round 2: Caine versus Zaphod Beeblebrox", 12 March 2012
- Stover, Matthew. "So, Conan and Elric Walk Into a Bar", 27 April 2012
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Matthew Stover|
- Matthew Stover's blog
- Matthew Stover at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Matthew Stover's OverWorld: Chronicles of Ankhana
- Matthew Stover's OverWorld Kick Starter Profile
- Interview with Matthew Stover by Gabe Chouinard, October 15, 2001
- Interview with Matthew Stover by Bookspot Central, December 9, 2008
- Interview with Matthew Stover by EU Cantina, January 4, 2009
- Video Interview with Matthew Stover on YouTube for Expanded Books, October 26, 2008