|Chicago Cubs – No. 41|
July 20, 1989 |
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
|August 17, 2014 for the Chicago Cubs|
|Runs batted in||5|
Matthew Szczur (pronounced Caesar, born July 20, 1989) is an American professional baseball center fielder for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college football and baseball at Villanova University prior to signing a professional contract with the Cubs in January 2011.
Szczur was born in Cape May Court House, New Jersey, and grew up in Erma, New Jersey, He attended Lower Cape May Regional High School, where he earned varsity letters in football, baseball, and track and field. Szczur was drafted in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of high school by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 38th round, but decided to attend Villanova University instead.
Szczur played wide receiver and special teams for the Wildcats football team. He also played center field for the baseball team. He gained 270 all-purpose yards and scored two touchdowns in a winning effort in the 2009 FCS National Championship.
Professional baseball career
Szczur signed a contract with the Chicago Cubs organization, which drafted him in the fifth-round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He received a $100,000 signing bonus, with an additional $500,000 if he declined to attend the NFL combine and made a written commitment to baseball before February 10, 2011. He was assigned to the club's short season Class-A team, the Boise Hawks, and first appeared in uniform July 8, 2010. He was then promoted to the club's mid-A team, the Peoria Chiefs on July 27, 2010. He hit .347 in 25 games in 2010.
After the 2010 season, Szczur committed to baseball and signed a $1.5 million deal with the Cubs in January 2011. As he was released from his initial contract and signed a new contract to receive the bonus, he would have been eligible in the 2011 Rule 5 draft if not added to the Cubs' 40 man roster.
- Cubs, Matt Szczur have deal ESPN.com, January 18, 2011
- "Player Bio: Matthew Szczur - VILLANOVA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE". Villanova.com. 1989-07-20. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Cubs pick Lower Township's Matt Szczur in fifth round". pressofAtlanticCity.com. 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2010-06-13.
- "Florida State League Transactions". July 2011. Minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Star of Villanova’s FCS title, Matt Szczur, may help save the life of a 15-month-old girl". nydailynews.com. 2009-12-20. Retrieved 2011-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Szczur.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)