Szczur with the Chicago Cubs
Chicago Cubs – No. 41
July 20, 1989 |
Cape May Court House, New Jersey
|August 17, 2014 for the Chicago Cubs|
(through April 14, 2015)
|Runs batted in||6|
Matthew Szczur (born July 20, 1989) is an American professional baseball center fielder for the Chicago Cubs of Major League Baseball (MLB). He played college football and baseball at Villanova University prior to signing a professional contract with the Cubs in January 2011.
Szczur was born in Cape May Court House, New Jersey, and grew up in Erma, New Jersey, He attended Lower Cape May Regional High School, where he earned varsity letters in football, baseball, and track and field. Szczur was drafted in the 2007 Major League Baseball Draft out of high school by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 38th round, but decided to attend Villanova University instead.
Szczur played wide receiver, running back, wildcat QB and was a return specialist on special teams for the Villanova Wildcats football team. He gained 270 all-purpose yards and scored two touchdowns in a winning effort in the 2009 Division I FCS National Championship Game helping Villanova capture their first NCAA Football Championship. He was named MVP of that Championship Game. Also was a consensus All-American and 2009 CAA Offensive Player of the Year.
Matt also played centerfield for the Villanova Baseball Program.
Professional baseball career
Szczur signed a contract with the Chicago Cubs organization, which drafted him in the fifth-round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He received a $100,000 signing bonus, with an additional $500,000 if he declined to attend the NFL combine and made a written commitment to baseball before February 10, 2011. He was assigned to the club's short season Class-A team, the Boise Hawks, and first appeared in uniform July 8, 2010. He was then promoted to the club's mid-A team, the Peoria Chiefs on July 27, 2010. He hit .347 in 25 games in 2010.
After the 2010 season, Szczur committed to baseball and signed a $1.5 million deal with the Cubs in January 2011. As he was released from his initial contract and signed a new contract to receive the bonus, he would have been eligible in the 2011 Rule 5 draft if not added to the Cubs' 40 man roster.
- Cubs, Matt Szczur have deal ESPN.com, January 18, 2011
- "Player Bio: Matthew Szczur - VILLANOVA OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE". Villanova.com. July 20, 1989. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- "Cubs pick Lower Township's Matt Szczur in fifth round". pressofAtlanticCity.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved June 13, 2010.
- "Draft News - Baseball America". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- "Minor League - Baseball America". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- "Florida State League Transactions". July 2011. Minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved July 26, 2011.
- Chicago Tribune (August 17, 2014). "Matt Szczur promoted - Chicago Tribune". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- "Lower Township's Matt Szczur is officially a Major Leaguer". pressofAtlanticCity.com. Retrieved March 10, 2015.
- "Star of Villanova’s FCS title, Matt Szczur, may help save the life of a 15-month-old girl". nydailynews.com. December 20, 2009. Retrieved January 31, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Matt Szczur.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)