Matthew Wolfenden (actor)
5 May 1980
Halifax, West Yorkshire, England
|Partner(s)||Charley Webb (2008–13, 2014–) |
He was a member of the British gymnastics squad until, aged 16, he fell whilst practising on the rings and broke his back. This prevented his continuing gymnastics and he turned to acting.
Wolfenden plays David Metcalfe, son of Eric Pollard, in ITV's Emmerdale. His first acting job was as an extra on the programme, later he originally auditioned for the role of Eli Dingle, but lost out to Joseph Gilgun; then he was called back for the role of David Metcalfe.
Dancing on Ice
Wolfenden was partnered with Russian ice dancer Nina Ulanova for the seventh series of Dancing on Ice. His gymnastic and dance background proved to be an advantage and he ended up in the final, along with Hollyoaks actress Jorgie Porter and The X Factor contestant Chico Slimani. Wolfenden continued his role in Emmerdale alongside training for Dancing on Ice. Matthew became the King of the Ice after beating Porter.
Wolfenden has made appearances on several chat shows alongside co-stars including Natalie Anderson and Fiona Wade. On 7 January 2014, Wolfenden provided the soap news on ITV's This Morning, a topic usually covered by journalist and writer Sharon Marshall.
Wolfenden was previously engaged to his Emmerdale co-star Charley Webb, and the couple have a son, Buster Lawrence Wolfenden, born on 3 April 2010. Wolfenden proposed to Webb on Christmas Day in 2009. The couple split in August 2013 but have decided to remain friends in order to make life easier for their child. Although since then the couple have reconciled.
Awards & nominations
- British Soap Award For Sexiest Male 2012 - Nominated - (Top 4 voted by the viewers, and lost out to Scott Maslen)
- Home - Emmerdale - ITV
- Matthew Wolfenden Trivia & Quotes - TV.com
- Soapstar Superstar top moments | Metro News
- Nina Ulanova
- Green, Kris (6 April 2010). "Emmerdale's Charley Webb gives birth". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- Fitzmaurice, Sarah (7 August 2013). "'They will remain friends and are focusing on their little boy': Emmerdale couple Charley Webb and Matthew Wolfenden announce split". Daily Mail (London).