Matthew Zapruder (born 1967 in Washington, D.C.) is an American poet, editor, translator, and professor. His second poetry collection, The Pajamaist (Copper Canyon Press, 2006), won the 2007 William Carlos Williams Award from the Poetry Society of America, and was chosen by Library Journal as one of the top ten poetry volumes of 2006. His first book, American Linden (Tupelo Press, 2002) won the Tupelo Press Editors' Prize. His most recent book of poetry, Come On All You Ghosts (Copper Canyon Press, 2010), blends humor and invention with love and loss.
His poems have appeared in The Boston Review, The Believer, Fence, Bomb, McSweeney's, Jubilat, Conduit, Harvard Review, The New Republic, The New Yorker, and The Paris Review. In 2007, he was a Lannan Literary Fellow in Marfa, Texas. He is the winner of the Tupelo Poetry Editors' Prize and the 2008 May Sarton poetry award from the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. As of late 2008, German and Slovenian language editions of his poems were planned from Luxbooks and Serpa Editions. Luxbooks is also publishing a separate German language graphic novel version of his poem "The Pajamaist."
He was co-founder (with Brian Henry) and editor-in-chief of Verse Press, which has since become Wave Books and moved from Amherst, Massachusetts to Seattle, Washington. Matthew Zapruder and Joshua Beckman, who became friends when Beckman performed a reading in Amherst, are co-editors of Wave Books.
Zapruder received his B.A. from Amherst College, his M.A. from the University of California, Berkeley and his M.F.A. from the MFA Program for Poets & Writers at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. He teaches in the low residency MFA program at the University of California, Riverside-Palm Desert and at the Juniper Summer Writing Institute at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. He lives in San Francisco and is the brother of American musician and songwriter Michael Zapruder, and is the guitarist in the American band The Figments.
- American Linden (Tupelo Press, 2002)
- The Pajamaist (Copper Canyon Press, 2006)
- Come On All You Ghosts (Copper Canyon Press, 2010)
- Secret Weapon: The Late Poems of Eugen Jebeleanu (Coffee House: 2007)
- Author's Booking Agency: Blue Flower Arts - Author Page - Matthew Zapruder
- News release and web page, "Young Poets Recognized by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences Five Receive Academy Prize in Honor of May Sarton", December 15, 2008, at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences website, retrieved December 17, 2008
- Publishers Weekly 9/8/2008 Joshua Beckman and Matthew Zapruder: Bringing Poets and Readers Together by Craig Morgan Teicher
- Copper Canyon Press > Book Page > The Pajamaist > Matthew Zapruder
- Poems by Matthew Zapruder at Narrative Magazine.