|Matthias A. Bertsch|
Matthias A. Bertsch, 2011
15 November 1966 |
Lichtenau (Baden), Germany
|Other names||Auguste von Herzberg|
|Alma mater||University of Vienna|
|Employer||University of Music and Performing Arts|
|Known for||Music Performance Science|
|Title||Prof. Dr. MA|
Board member of
|Austrian Society for Music and Medicine|
|Parent(s)||Winfried and Jeanne Bertsch|
Matthias Bertsch (born 1966 in Lichtenau) is a German-born Austrian musicologist, musician and professor at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna. He is the actual President of the Austrian Society for Music and Medicine (Musicians Health Care).
Bertsch grew up in Lichtenau (Germany) next to the Alsacian border and moved to Vienna, Austria in 1988 for his studies in musicology at the University of Vienna. After graduation he received his PhD in 1999 ("summa cum laude") with his work on the trumpet in the fields of "Musical Acoustics" and "Musical Physiology". In 2003 he qualified as a professor with tenure track in musical acoustics and was Deputy Director of the Institute of Musical Acoustics at the [[University of Music and Performing Arts|University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna.]]
In 2008, Bertsch trained as a biofeedback coach and joined the musicians health group at the Music University as scientist in the field of music physiology. In 2009 he was elected as president of the Austrian Society for Music and Medicine (music medicine, music physiology, psychology of music). Besides his academic career, he began to play trumpet at the age of 7, and continued his education through private studies with Györky Ottlakan, Manfred Stoppacher and masterclasses with Fred Mills and Thomas Gansch.
Musicology and scientific research
His interdisziplinary music research is focused toward empirical and data-oriented methods in the area of psychology, acoustics, organology, psychoacoustics, physiology and cognitive science. He has authored books, articles, in print and online media and scientific contributions in TV broadcasts in Austria (ORF) and Germany.
Bertsch is a member of: International Trumpet Guild (ITG), Austrian Society for Music and Medicine (ÖGfMM); German Association for Music Physiology and Musicians' Medicine (DGfMM), Member of the International Liaison Committee for Performing Arts Medicine, Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA); German Society for Music Psychology (DGM); Society of Interdisciplinary Musicology (CIM); Austrian Society for Musicology (DGfMW); Various academic Committees at the University of Music and Performing Arts Vienna.
As a trumpeter, he performed within philharmonic Orchestra, Big Bands and brass quintets. As part of his military service in Stabsmusikkorps Bundeswehr, he played with at state receptions (e.g. for Ronald Reagan and the only official reception of Erich Honecker in 1987).
- Bertsch, Matthias (2002). Studien zur Tonerzeugung auf der Trompete: Variablen der Tonerzeugung; Vorstudien und-Versuche; "Warm-up"-Studie zum Einblasvorgang; Studien zur Intonation auf Trompeten. (PDF). Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Musikalische Akustik der Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien 4, (Wien: IWK.MDW.AC.AT). ISBN 3900914028. Retrieved 3. 10 2012. Check date values in:
- A Sound Shaped by Time and Tools: What Makes the Vienna Philharmonic So Distinctive. The New York Times, Aug. 3, 2014. New York, 2014. (page AR1)
- Bertsch, Matthias (2003). Wiener Klangstil - Mythos oder Realität? Ergebnisse der Hörstudie "Hören Sie Wienerisch?" zur Erkennbarkeit des Wiener Klangstils in musikalischen Beispielen. (Habilschrift Teil 2) (PDF). Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Musikalische Akustik der Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien 5, (Wien: IWK.MDW.AC.AT). ISBN 3900914036. Retrieved 3. 10 2012. Check date values in:
- Bertsch, Matthias (2003). Collected Papers in Musical Acoustics. Reprint of articles from Matthias Bertsch published between 1995 - 2003. (Habilschrift Teil 1) (PDF). Schriftenreihe des Instituts für Musikalische Akustik der Universität für Musik und darstellende Kunst Wien 6, (Wien: IWK.MDW.AC.AT). ISBN 3900914044. Retrieved 3. 10 2012. Check date values in:
- Music University Staff Retrieved 2012/09/28
- ÖGfMM Website. As on 2012/08/09
- Google Scholar Citation Listing Retrieved 2012/09/28
- Publication list of Bertsch Retrieved 2012/10/20
- Vienna hosts scientific workshop on instruments As on 2008/08/09
- international network on PERFORMING ARTS MEDICINE As on 2012/08/09
- Official website
- University of Music and Performing Arts, Vienna
- Dr. Trumpet's Brass Research Review on Youtube