Ostrzolek in training with Hamburger SV in 2014
|Full name||Matthias Ostrzolek|
|Date of birth||5 June 1990|
|Place of birth||Bochum, West Germany|
|Height||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2009–2011||VfL Bochum II||17||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 21 December 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
In 2007, Ostrzolek played in two matches for the U-17 national team of Poland against Lithuania. He did not receive further call-ups from Poland national teams and later chose to represent Germany at the youth level. 
On 21 March 2011 Ostrzolek was first invited to the U-21 national team of Germany, when he was nominated by coach Rainer Adrion for the friendlies against the Netherlands and Italy. On 25 March 2011 he was at 3 1 win in Sittard-Geleen substitute against the Netherlands in the 22nd minute for Shervin Radjabali-Fardi. Four days later he came in to replace the 2-2 draw against Italy in Kassel in the 83rd minute for İlkay Gündoğan. Matthias Ostrzolek qualified with the U-21 National Team Germany for the European Under-21 Football Championships 2013. The team won in qualifying to win the group and eliminated in the play-off against Switzerland; a 1-1 draw in the first leg in the BayArena in Leverkusen followed by a 3-1 victory in the second leg in Lucerne. Ostrzolek did not play in the play-off. On March 24, 2013 Ostrzolek played for the last time for the U-21 team of Germany when he at 2-1 victory in the friendly match against Israel in Tel Aviv in the 19th minute came in to replace Tony Jantschke. On 16 May 2013 he was not nominated in the preliminary squad for U-21 Football Championship in 2013.
In December 2013, representatives from the Polish Football Association (PZPN) contacted Ostrzolek about playing for the senior national team of Poland. According to Ostrzolek, it was his first contact with Polish football officials since his brief stint with the U-17 team. Ostrzolek stated that he would be proud to represent either Poland or Germany and would need more time to decide. By his own admission, he can understand nearly everything in Polish but cannot express himself flawlessly in the language. 
Ahead of the Euro 2016 qualifying match between Poland and Germany in October 2014, German newspaper Bild reported that Ostrzolek still had not decided on his national team future. The player stated, “I still haven’t decided between Germany and Poland. I don’t know for which national team I will play.” 
|2009–10||VfL Bochum II||Regionalliga West||8||0||—||—||8||0|
|2010–11||VfL Bochum||2. Bundesliga||17||0||0||0||2||0||19||0|
- "Ostrzolek unterschreibt Profi-Vertrag" [Ostrzolek signs pro-contract] (in German). VfL Bochum. 8 January 2011. Retrieved 8 January 2011.
- Luka Tristovic (14 April 2011). "PZPN lose another talent to Germany". Polish SOCA Network. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "U-17: Polska 4-1 Litwa" [U-17: Poland 4-1 Lithuania] (in Polish). 90minut.pl. 12 April 2007. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "U-17: Polska 1-0 Litwa" [U-17: Poland 1-0 Lithuania] (in Polish). 90minut.pl. 17 April 2007. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "U 21-Nationalteam Männer: Nationalspieler Matthias Ostrzolek" [Under 21 national team men: international Matthias Ostrzolek] (in German). German Football Association. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Obiecujący obrońca z polskimi korzeniami podpisał kontrakt z VFL Bochum" [Promising defender with Polish roots signed with VFL Bochum] (in Polish). pilkanozna.pl. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 25 April 2011.
- "Matthias Ostrzolek" (in German). fussballdaten.de. Retrieved 18 December 2010.
- "Ostrzolek, Matthias" (in German). kicker. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- Braasch, Simon (14 August 2014). "Ostrzolek: "Die Nationalelf ist ein Ziel"". Hamburger Morgenpost (in German). Morgenpost Verlag GmbH. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Niemcy czy Polska: który kraj wybierze utalentowany obrońca?". Przegląd Sportowy (in Polish). Ringier Axel Springer Polska. 29 April 2014. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- "Kroos, Rausch und Clemens sagen ab". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 21 March 2011. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Holtby setzt den Schlusspunkt". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 25 March 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Deutschland gibt Sieg gegen Italien aus der Hand". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 29 March 2011. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Joker Drmic schockt DFB-Elf in Unterzahl". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 12 October 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Holtby führt die Adrion-Elf nach Israel". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 16 October 2012. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Adrion gibt drei Neulingen die EM-Chance". kicker online (in German). Olympia Verlag GmbH. 16 May 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "PZPN w Niemczech znalazł lewego obrońcę dla reprezentacji?". Przegląd Sportowy (in Polish). Ringier Axel Springer Polska. 6 December 2013. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Matthias Ostrzolek: Wciąż nie zdecydowałem między Niemcami a Polską". Sportowe Fakty (in Polish). Grupa Wirtualna Polska Sp. z o.o. 8 October 2014. Retrieved 14 March 2015.
- "Nicht lockerlassen". HSV.de (in German). HSV Fußball AG. Retrieved 2015-02-15.
|This biographical article related to association football in Germany, about a defender born in the 1990s, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|