Delpierre in 2007
|Full name||Matthieu Delpierre|
|Date of birth||26 April 1981|
|Place of birth||Nancy, France|
|Height||1.93 m (6 ft 4 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Current club||FC Utrecht|
|2004–2007||VfB Stuttgart II||6||(0)|
|2012–2014||TSG 1899 Hoffenheim||23||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 31 January 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Matthieu Delpierre (born 26 April 1981 in Nancy, France) is a French footballer who plays for FC Utrecht in the Dutch Eredivisie. Delpierre plays as a centre back previously for Lille OSC and was the captain of VfB Stuttgart. He has represented France at the U18, U20 and under-21 levels, making appearances during the 2002 UEFA European Under-21 Football Championship.
In his first season with Lille, Delpierre made little appearances for the club but helped in the club's promotion to Ligue 1. Delpierre became more of a regular in his second season with the club, helping them in securing third spot and UEFA Champions League qualification. Delpierre continued to perform for Lille though the club kept finishing at a lower position in the league every season.
Delpierre was signed by VfB Stuttgart on a free transfer after Lille refused to grant him a contract extension. Having been eclipsed by the team's generally poor displays over the 2004–05 and 2005–06 seasons, Delpierre started developing form under the tutelage of coach Armin Veh.
The following season, the French defender became a linchpin at the heart of the Stuttgart defence. Having only missed one game through illness, Delpierre formed an almost impenetrable barrier alongside Fernando Meira at the heart of the Stuttgart defence. Matthieu has also been a vital cog in Stuttgart's success in the 2006–07 DFB-Pokal, conceding only three goals leading up to the finals, which they eventually lost to Nuremberg. On 19 May 2007, Delpierre won the German Bundesliga with Stuttgart, playing a significant part in their success.
He has extended his contract with Stuttgart until the summer of 2012.
On 1 December 2009, Delpierre was appointed the new captain of VfB Stuttgart by Markus Babbel. On 12 January 2012 he asked Bruno Labbadia to appoint another player. Delpierre joined Hoffenheim on a free transfer at the end of the season.
On 31 January 2014 he moved to FC Utrecht.
Delpierre took part in the French A-squad pre-selection for the first time in 2007.
- "Defensieve aanwinst: Matthieu Delpierre (32)" (in Dutch). FC Utrecht. 31 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Bundesliga - Arsenal, Bayern eye Delpierre". Yahoo! Sport. 10 May 2007. Retrieved 7 December 2007.
- "Four more years". VfB Stuttgart. 30 May 2007. Retrieved 7 December 2007.
- "Matthieu Delpierre is new VfB captain". VfB Stuttgart. 1 December 2009. Retrieved 1 December 2009.
- "Serdar Tasci is the new captain". VfB Stuttgart. 12 January 2012. Retrieved 12 January 2012.
- "List of the pre-selected players in the french A-squad in the season 2007-2008". Retrieved 7 December 2007.
- Matthieu Delpierre at Stuttgart's official website
- Matthieu Delpierre at Eurosport
- Matthieu Delpierre at fussballdaten.de (German)