Mattia De Sciglio
De Sciglio with Milan in August 2012
|Full name||Mattia De Sciglio|
|Date of birth||20 October 1992|
|Place of birth||Milan, Italy|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Playing position||Full back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Mattia De Sciglio (Italian pronunciation: [matˈtiːa de ˈʃʃiʎʎo]; born 20 October 1992) is an Italian profesional footballer who plays as a defender for Milan in Serie A and the Italian national team. De Sciglio joined Milan as a youngster and went on to make his professional debut in 2011. By the end of following season he had become a regular in the line-up, being able to play on both sides of the field.
Internationally, De Sciglio has been capped nine times by Italy since making his debut in March 2013. He was part of the squad that finished third at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup.
A native of Milan, De Sciglio started playing football as a child at the Santa Chiara e San Francesco parish recreation centre in the nearby municipality of Rozzano, before moving to local amateur team Cimiano in 2001.
The following year, aged ten, he joined A.C. Milan's youth system, where he spent nine seasons. In 2010, he was a member of the under-20 squad who won the Coppa Italia Primavera, 25 years after the team's last success in the competition.
At the start of the 2011–12 season De Sciglio was officially included in the first team squad by manager Massimiliano Allegri. He made his professional debut on 28 September 2011, coming on as a substitute in a UEFA Champions League group stage home game against Viktoria Plzeň, which Milan won 2–0. He was given his first start (and second overall appearance) in a 2–2 away draw against the same team on 6 December. Four months later, on 10 April, De Sciglio also made his league debut, playing as a starter in a 1–0 away win over Chievo. The following month, on 6 May, he played in his first Milan derby against city rivals Inter, replacing an injured Daniele Bonera midway through the first half of a 4–2 loss.
As from the 2012–13 season De Sciglio was assigned the number 2 shirt, which he called "very important" as in the past it was worn "by great players like Mauro Tassotti and Cafu", adding that he hoped to "live up to their standards". Throughout the season, De Sciglio became a regular in the starting line-up thanks to a series of convincing performances. He made 33 appearances in the 2012-13 season, managing three assists in the process. He played as both a left back and right back, showing competence on either flank.
The 2013-14 season was a frustrating one for De Sciglio. He missed 20 matches in total due to various injuries which limited him to making just 21 appearances for the season in all competitions.
De Sciglio won eight caps for Italy under-19 between 2010 and 2011, including two appearances and one goal in the 2011 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship qualifying round. Subsequently, he represented Italy under-20, winning five caps between 2011 and 2012. On 25 April 2012, he made his debut for Italy under-21, coming on as a substitute midway through the second half of a friendly match against Scotland, which Italy won 4–1. For the under-21 side, he went on to make four further appearances, all in 2012.
Less than four months after making his debut for the under-21 side, De Sciglio received his first call-up to the Italy senior team, as manager Cesare Prandelli named him to the squad for a friendly match against England to be played on 15 August 2012. However, he was left as an unused substitute in the 2–1 defeat. He went on to make his debut for the senior team on 21 March 2013, in a friendly match against Brazil that ended in a 2–2 draw.
Style of play
De Sciglio is primarily a right-sided full-back, who can play comfortably also on the left side due to his ability with his left foot. Former Milan player Alberigo Evani, who coached him during the 2007–08 season, described De Sciglio as "a fast runner, with good technique", and also as "a versatile footballer". Along with fellow Italian fullback Davide Santon, De Sciglio's precocious displays for Milan and the Italian National side have caused players, managers and pundits to describe him as the heir apparent of Paolo Maldini. His managers have also praised him for his maturity, tenacity and composure, both when attacking or defending.
- As of 19 May 2014
- As of 24 June 2014
|Italy national team|
|01||2013-03-21||Italy||2-2||Brazil||FIFA Friendly Matches 2013||Geneva, Switzerland|
|02||2013-03-26||Italy||2-0||Malta||FIFA World Cup 2014 Qualifyings||Modena, Italy|
|03||2013-03-31||Italy||4-0||San Mario||FIFA Friendly Matches 2013||Bologna, Italy|
|04||2013-06-11||Italy||2-2||Haiti||FIFA Friendly Matches 2013||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|05||2013-06-16||Italy||2-1||Mexico||2013 FIFA Confederations Cup||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|06||2013-06-19||Italy||4-3||Japan||2013 FIFA Confederations Cup||Recife, Brazil|
|07||2013-06-22||Italy||2-4||Brazil||2013 FIFA Confederations Cup||Salvador, Brazil|
|08||2013-06-30||Italy||2-2||Uruguay||2013 FIFA Confederations Cup||Salvador, Brazil|
|09||2014-03-05||Italy||0-1||Spain||FIFA Friendly Matches 2014||Madrid, Spain|
|10||2014-05-31||Italy||0-0||Republic of Ireland||FIFA Friendly Matches 2014||London, England|
|11||2014-06-04||Italy||1-1||Luxembourg||FIFA Friendly Matches 2014||Perugia, Italy|
|12||2014-06-24||Italy||0-1||Uruguay||2014 FIFA World Cup||Natal, Brazil|
- Riggio, Salvatore (18 May 2011). "Piccoli Merkel crescono" [Little Merkels grow up] (PDF). Tuttosport (in Italian). Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Saranno famosi" [They are going to be famous]. cimiano.it (in Italian). Polisportiva Dilettantistica Cimiano. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "De Sciglio: a red and black history". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 25 May 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Coppa Italia Primavera 2009/10". acmilan.com (in Italian). Associazione Calcio Milan. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "De Sciglio: the right ingredients". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 7 May 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Ibrahimović sets Milan on course to Plzeň success". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Plzeň secure late draw with Milan to end on a high". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. 6 December 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "ChievoVerona 0 – 1 Milan". legaseriea.it. Lega Nazionale Professionisti Serie A. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Post match interviews from the Milan derby". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 6 May 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Sinanan, Keeghann (6 May 2012). "Inter 4–2 AC Milan: Milito hat-trick and Maicon rocket decide derby and ensures Juventus are crowned Serie A champions". goal.com (PERFORM Group). Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "De Sciglio: I will be wearing an important shirt". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 13 July 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- Cuppone, Emiliano (25 December 2012). "Mattia De Sciglio ed un 2012 da predestinato" [Mattia De Sciglio and his 2012 as a chosen one]. milannews.it (in Italian). Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- "Mattia De Sciglio". figc.it (in Italian). Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Mattia De Sciglio". uefa.com. Union of European Football Associations. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Italy under 21, Mattia De Sciglio's winnign debut". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 26 April 2012. Archived from the original on 4 August 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Scotland U21 1–4 Italy U21". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). 25 April 2012. Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "Sono 8 le novità di Prandelli per l'amichevole con l'Inghilterra" [8 new names by Prandelli for friendly against England]. figc.it (in Italian) (Federazione Italiana Giuoco Calcio). 10 August 2012. Archived from the original on 10 August 2012. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Magowan, Alistair (15 August 2012). "England 2–1 Italy". BBC Sport (British Broadcasting Corporation). Archived from the original on 15 August 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "De Sciglio: Italian debut". acmilan.com (Associazione Calcio Milan). 23 March 2013. Archived from the original on 8 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- "Balotelli inspires against Brazil". ESPN Soccernet (ESPN). 21 March 2013. Archived from the original on 8 March 2014. Retrieved 8 March 2014.
- Mazzara, Pietro (8 July 2012). "Evani su De Sciglio: "Per lui prevedo un grande futuro" [Evani on De Sciglio: "I foresee a bright future for him"]. milannews.it (in Italian). Retrieved 4 August 2012.
- "De Sciglio: la benedizione di Maldini". acmilan.com. 5 March 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2013.
- Nicolò Esposito (18 November 2012). "Altra prova di spessore per De Sciglio, il ventenne con la calma del veterano". ilveromilanista.it. Retrieved 1º luglio 2013.
- Mattia De Sciglio career stats at Soccerbase
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mattia De Sciglio.|
- Mattia De Sciglio profile at acmilan.com
- Mattia De Sciglio career stats at Soccerbase
- Mattia De Sciglio – FIFA competition record
- Mattia De Sciglio Italian league stats at aic.football.it (Italian)
- Mattia De Sciglio international caps at figc.it (Italian)