Mattoon Community Unit School District 2
|Mattoon Community Unit School District 2|
|Type and location|
|Type||unified school district|
|Location||Mattoon, Coles County, Illinois|
|Students and staff|
|Students||3,544 (as of the 2007-08 school year)|
Mattoon Community Unit School District 2 is a unified school district located in the city of its namesake, Mattoon, which in turn is located in Coles County, Illinois. Today, Mattoon's chief school district is composed of four schools: Riddle Elementary School, which serves grades K-5; Arland D. Williams, Jr. Elementary School, another elementary school that parallels Riddle in terms of grades; Mattoon Middle School, the district's bridge between the elementary and high schools, serves grades 6-8. Mattoon High School serves grades 9-12, finalizing education for students in the community unit school district. The school runs a prekindergarten program called the Neil Armstrong Program at Hawthorne School, which is run by Principal Ida Cockrum and Director Connie Huffman. The current superintendent is Larry Lilly, while the principals of each of the respective schools are Bruce Barnard of Riddle Elementary, Kris Maleske of Williams Elementary, Jeremie Smith of Mattoon Middle, and Michelle Sinclair of Mattoon High. The mascot of Mattoon High School is the green wave, while the mascot of Mattoon Middle School is the wildcat.
The original Mattoon High School, famous for its fish-shaped fountain, was relocated in 1956; the fish fountain, which symbolizes the past and future of the district's students, was moved to the new high school in 2005 during renovations.
Mattoon Community Unit School District 2 runs several programs, including that of National Junior Honor Society in Mattoon Middle School  a regional-worthy soccer team, a state-champion runner-up softball team, and a volleyball team.
- Riddle Elementary School Main Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Arland Williams Elementary School Main Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Mattoon Middle School Main Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Mattoon High School Main Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Neil Armstrong Program Main Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Superintendent's Corner, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Mattoon High School Athletics Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Mattoon Middle School NJHS Web Page, retrieved 2008-5-7
- Mattoon HS Athletics, retrieved 2008-5-7