This article is about the district. For its eponymous headquarters, see Mau
Mau district (Hindi: मऊ ज़िला, Urdu: مئو ضلع) is one of the districts of Uttar Pradesh state of India and Mau town is the district headquarters. Mau district is a part of Azamgarh Division. Mau district is situated in the south-eastern part of the state with headquarters at Mau town. The district is surrounded by Ghazipur district on the south, Ballia district in the east and Azamgarh district in the west.and north side surrounded by Gorkhpur .Varanasi touches some area in south side.The river Ghagra forms its northern boundary and south boundary touch Tamsa river.
In sports Mau has a tremendous history:
- Bhim Narayan Rai of village Revaridih -Sahroj, Natinal Champion and Record Holder in javelin Throw in National Games 1961 and broken the Asian Games record there ,he has also broken a record in Indian School Games -1960. He has been awarded Outstanding performer in 1964 U.P. Athletic meet,he has got the UP state Track & Field championship 1961 to 1965 of UP
- Long racer Bahadur Prasad participated in several Asian Games
- Eminent Wrestler kisore Pahlwan of Village Basiharam
- Sprinter Ram das Sahani of Village Amila
- TezBahadur singh (UP Kesari) of village Sarwan Ranbirpur
- Tridip Rai International Basket Ball player of village Kasara
- Kamran Khan IPL Cricket player of village Nadwa Sarai.
According to the 2011 census Mau district has a population of 2,205,170, roughly equal to the nation of Latvia or the US state of New Mexico. This gives it a ranking of 206th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,287 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,330 /sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 18.94%. Mau has a sex ratio of 978 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 75.16%.
Coordinates: 25°56′N 83°34′E / 25.933°N 83.567°E