Maungdaw

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Maungdaw
မောင်တောမြို့
Maungdaw is located in Burma
Maungdaw
Maungdaw
Location in Burma
Coordinates: 20°49′N 92°22′E / 20.817°N 92.367°E / 20.817; 92.367
Country  Myanmar
Division Rakhine State
District Maungdaw District
Township Maungdaw Township
Elevation 10 ft (3 m)
Time zone MST (UTC+6:30)

Maungdaw (Burmese: မောင်တောမြို့; MLCTS: maung:tau mrui., pronounced: [máʊɴdɔ́ mjo̰]) is a town in the Rakhine State of westernmost part of Myanmar. It is the administrative seat of Maungdaw Township and Maungdaw District. Maungdaw is the west most city of Burma and it is a border city too with Bangladesh separated by Naf river. The border is almost 168 miles long. Maungdaw is 16 miles away from Buthidaung. Maundaw and Buthidaung are separated by May Yu Mountains. It has conncted by two tunnels. Tunnel was built in 1918 on Maungdaw Buthidaung motor way.

British troops stand at the entrance to the Maungdaw-Buthidaung road captured by the Allied 15th Corps in January 1944.

Demographics[edit]

The population are almost 400000 people in 2008. The ethnic group are Rakhine, Bamar, Chin, Kamein, Khami, Daingnet, Mro, Miram (Mara) and Thet (about 20%). The remaining majority (80%) are stateless Rohingya Muslims. In July 2012, the Myanmar Government did not included the Rohingya minority group–-classified as stateless Bengali Muslims from Bangladesh since 1982—on the government's list of more than 130 ethnic races and therefore the government says that they have no claim to Myanmar citizenship. [1]

The Rohingyas are Muslim minority population living mainly in the state of Arakan, in Myanmar (Burma). Although approximately 800,000 Rohingya live in Myanmar, and apparently their ancestors were in the country for centuries, the Burmese government does not recognize Rohingya people as citizens. People without a state, the Rohingya face harsh persecution in Myanmar, and in refugee camps in neighboring Bangladesh and Thailand as well. [2]

Education[edit]

There are five basic education high schools, three high schools (branches), eight middle schools, one middle school (branch), one affiliated middle school, 16 post-primary schools and 125 primary schools in 2010-11.[3]

Economy[edit]

Since September 1995, border trade between Maungdaw of Myanmar and Teknaf of Bangladesh is formally established.[4]

References[edit]

External links[edit]

Coordinates: 20°49′N 92°22′E / 20.817°N 92.367°E / 20.817; 92.367