Maureen // is a female given name. Anglicized form of Máirín, a pet form of Máire, which is the Irish cognate of Mary, which is in turn derived from the Hebrew Miriam. It may also be a feminine form of Maurice.
Some variant forms are: Maura, Maury, Maurene, Maurianne, Marien, Maurine, Maurisa, Maurise, Maurissa, Marissa, Maurita, Maurizia, Mavra, Moira, Mora, Moreen, Morena, Morene, Moria and Morine.
Alternately, the term Maure derives from the Phoenician term Mahurin (Westerners). From Mahurin, ancient Latin derives Mauri, meaning black African, and modern Greek derives mauro (black). From the same root is derived moor, maroon, Mohr, Moore, Morin, Morisco, Moreto, Mauretania, Mauritania, Mauritius, Maurus, Maurice/Moritz/Maurikos, Meuric/Meurig, Maureta and Maureen.
People with this given name
- Television and film
- Dame Maureen Brennan, British educator
- Maureen Dowd, American journalist
- Maureen Lipman, English actress and singer
- Maureen Louys, Belgian television presenter
- Maureen McCormick, retired American actress
- Maureen O'Hara, retired Irish-American actress
- Maureen O'Sullivan, deceased American actress
- Maureen Stapleton, deceased American actress
- Maureen Van Zandt, Italian-American actress
- Maureen Forrester, deceased Canadian opera singer
- Maureen Herman, American rock musician
- Maureen McGovern, American singer
- Maureen Tucker, American drummer (The Velvet Underground)
Fictional characters with this given name
- Maureen Folan, a 40-year-old spinster in The Beauty Queen of Leenane
- Maureen Johnson, a lesbian performance artist in the musical and movie Rent
- Maureen Johnson, a Robert A. Heinlein character
- Maureen Robinson, biochemist, and the mother of the Robinson family in Lost In Space, played by June Lockhart in the TV series and Mimi Rogers in the 1998 film
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|