Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
The entrance to the Mansfield Library on the north side of the building.
University of Montana
|Size||1.5 million volumes|
|Legal deposit||Federal Depository Library
Regional Depository Library for Montana
|Director||Shali Zhang, PhD|
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library is the campus library for students at the University of Montana in Missoula, Montana. The five-story library, which is located on the east side of the UM campus, was finished in 1978, funded by the U.S. Department of Commerce. In 1979, it was dedicated to Ambassador Mike Mansfield and his wife Maureen. The library is home to the earliest authorized edition of the Lewis and Clark journals.
The University of Montana library was established in 1895, two years after the establishment of the University of Montana. The library was temporarily housed in the old Willard School on Sixth Street in Missoula before a permanent structure was built on the UM campus. After one year at the old Willard School, library holdings totaled at 1,369 volumes, 19 periodicals, and 20 newspapers.
Today, the library features state-of-the-art electronic access to information. It is a Federal Government Depository Collection and has an extensive Maps Collection.
The University of Montana library has moved several times as the collection size expanded beyond the location's available capacity. Note:(The current names of the buildings are listed here.)
- 1895 - old Willard School
- 1899 - University Hall
- 1908 - Jeannette Rankin Hall
- library designated as a depository for government documents
- 1921 - Social Science Building
- 1974 - Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library
- construction completed in 1978
About the Library
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library has the largest library collection of books and media in Montana and comprises the heart of The University of Montana’s library system. Collections exceed 1.5 million volumes, 125,000 maps, 100,000 archival photographs, 77,000 electronic books, 50,000 media items, 12,000 theses, dissertations and graduate professional papers, and over 11,000 linear feet of archival manuscripts. It also houses more than 5,000 rare and valuable books. Combined collections within the Montana Public Access Catalog of the Affiliated Libraries of The University of Montana exceed 1.9 million volumes. Over the last 10 years, the Mansfield Library has greatly increased access to electronic journal literature and now has over 30,000 print and electronic journals and hundreds of electronic databases.
The library has roughly 100 computer workstations for students, staff and faculty, and has seven for the general public. There are 64 staff and faculty members, and nearly 100 student workers. The library takes up roughly five acres.
The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Center of the Mansfield Library is dedicated to improving understanding of Asia, U.S. foreign relations, and ethics and public affairs.
"The Center houses programs that embody the core interests and characteristics of Senator Mansfield's career, namely, Modern Asian Affairs and Ethics in Public Affairs. The Center has broadened its original focus on East and Northeast Asia to include South and Southeast Asia, an evolution that reflects growing American interests in these sub-regions of a dynamic continent with ever-growing links to the United States."
The Mansfield Center also works closely with The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Foundation (est. 1983) to "promote understanding and cooperation among the nations and peoples of Asia and the United States." The Foundation maintains offices in Washington, D.C.; Tokyo, Japan; Missoula, Montana; and a joint office in Beijing, China, with The Maureen and Mike Mansfield Center at The University of Montana.
Hours of Operation
- Monday-Thursday: 7 a.m. - 1 a.m.
- Friday: 7 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- Sunday: 10 a.m. - 1 a.m.
- College of Technology of The University of Montana
- Montana Tech of the University of Montana
- The University of Montana-Helena College of Technology
- The University of Montana Jameson Law Library
- University of Montana Western
- "History of the Mansfield Library | Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library". Lib.umt.edu. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- "Lewis and Clark Journals". Web.archive.org. 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- [dead link]
- "Mansfield Center". Umt.edu. 2013-02-19. Retrieved 2013-03-21.
- . Mansfield Foundation http://www.mansfieldfdn.org/. Retrieved 2013-03-21. Missing or empty
- Official website
- Maureen and Mike Mansfield Library on Twitter
- William J. Jameson Law Library
- Montana Western Library
- UM Helena COT Library
- Montana Tech Library