|J.G. Maurice Baril|
Maurice Baril, September 2008.
September 22, 1943 |
|Years of service||1963–2001|
|Unit||Royal 22e Régiment|
|Commands held||Chief of the Defence Staff
Head of the Military Division of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations
Commander, CTC Gagetown
|Awards||Officer of the Order of Canada
Commander of the Order of Military Merit
Meritorious Service Medal
Canadian Forces Decoration
|Other work||Chairman of the Board of Directors for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (2005–07)|
Joseph Gérard Maurice Baril OC, CMM, MSM, CD (born September 22, 1943) is a retired General officer in the Canadian Forces, a Military Advisor to the United Nations Secretary-General & head of the Military Division of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations of the United Nations from 1992 to 1997, and Chief of the Defence Staff in Canada from 1997 to 2001.
Baril served with the Royal 22e Régiment from 1964 to 1968. From 1968 to 1971, he served with The Canadian Airborne Regiment in Valcartier, Quebec and Edmonton, Alberta. He commanded land forces in Cyprus and Lahr, Germany, served at Department of National Defence headquarters in Ottawa, Ecole Spéciale Militaire de Saint-Cyr in Paris and as Commander of the Combat Training Centre at CFB Gagetown.
He was appointed head of the Military Division of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) at the United Nations in June 1992, where he was military advisor to then under-secretary for peacekeeping operations Kofi Annan.
Baril was in charge of the Military Division at DPKO during the Rwandan Genocide where his countryman General Roméo Dallaire was force commander of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR). He went on to be Chief of Land Force Quebec Area in Montreal in July 1995 and Chief of the Land Staff in September 1996.
Baril, along with American General Henry Shelton, was a signatory to the joint Canadian-American military exercise Amalgam Virgo in June 2001. Amalgam Virgo has been cited as a dress rehearsal for the Vigilant Guardian and Global Guardian air exercises conducted during the 9/11 attacks.
Post military career
In 2011, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada "for his contributions to the nation, notably for his leadership as head of the Canadian Forces, and for his ongoing contributions to peacekeeping around the world".
- Bernier, Serge (2008). "Baril, Maurice". Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Soloman, Evan (2006). "AN INTERVIEW WITH KOFI ANNAN". Retrieved 2008-09-13.[dead link]
- Governor General of Canada – Assumption of Command of Lieutenant-General J.M.G. Baril – Rideau Hall – Wednesday, September 24, 1997
- North American Aerospace Defense Command (June 2001). "SEADS CONCEPT PROPOSAL AMALGAM VIRGO 01" (PDF). Retrieved 2008-09-13.
- Transport Canada – News release H 003/07 – Minister Cannon accepts the decision of the board of directors' chairman for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority – January 23, 2007
- "Appointments to the Order of Canada".
|Chief of the Land Staff
|Chief of the Defence Staff