Maurice Manning (poet)
University of Alabama
Maurice Manning (born 1966 in Danville, Kentucky) is an American poet. His first collection of poems, Lawrence Booth's Book of Visions was awarded the Yale Younger Poets Award, chosen by W.S. Merwin.
Maurice Manning attended Earlham College and the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa. In the fall of 2004 he began teaching in the Indiana University M.F.A. Program. formerly a professor at DePauw University, He is on the faculty of the Warren Wilson College MFA Program for Writers and in January 2012 he was hired by Transylvania University, a small liberal arts college in Lexington, Kentucky, and will begin teaching full-time in September.
His poems have appeared in The New Yorker, Shenandoah, The Southern Review, Washington Square, Green Mountains Review, Hayden's Ferry Review, The Spoon River Poetry Review, Wind, Hunger Mountains, Black Warrior Review, Virginia Quarterly Review, and elsewhere. His collection, "The Common Man," was one of the two finalists for the 2011 Pulitzer Prize in Poetry.
Manning's first collection, Lawrence Booth's Book of Visions, won the Yale Series of Younger Poets Competition in 2001 (under W. S. Merwin. Dwight Garner, literary critic for The New York Times, said in a review of the book that "Manning displays not just terrific cunning but terrific aim--he nails his images the way a restless boy, up in a tree with a slingshot, nails anything sentient that wanders into view". His fourth collection, The Common Man (Houghton Mifflin, 2010), deals with religion, Kentucky, whiskey, and a donkey, and was praised as a "fine collection" by Jacob Sunderlin in the Sycamore Review. During his Guggenheim fellowship, he was working on his fifth collection, tentatively titled The Gone and the Going Away.
- Lawrence Booth's Book of Visions. Yale University Press. Spring 2001. ISBN 978-0-300-08998-1.
- A Companion For Owls. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. 09/01/2004. ISBN 978-0-15-101049-3.
- Bucolics. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. April 2, 2007. ISBN 978-0-15-101310-4.
- The Common Man. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. April 9, 2010. ISBN 978-0-547-24961-2.
- "Maurice Walker Manning". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Three Indiana University professors are recipients of 2011 Guggenheim Fellowships". Indiana University. 20 April 2011. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Yale Series of Younger Poets". Yale University Press. 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Garner, Dwight (19 August 2001). "Poetry in Brief: The Lone Deranger Rides Again". The New York Times. p. 17. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- Sunderlin, Jacob (8 September 2010). "Does the Story in Your Heart Involve a Donkey?: Maurice Manning's Common Man". Sycamore Review. Retrieved 18 August 2013.