|Born||Joaçaba, Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Genres||Alternative rock, forró, jazz, funk rock, experimental rock, IDM, electronica|
|Associated acts||Red Hot Chili Peppers, Atoms for Peace, Forro in the Dark, David Byrne, Lounge Lizards|
Mauro Refosco is a Brazilian percussionist. He is best known as the recording and touring percussionist for the American rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers, with whom he has recorded one studio album, I'm With You (2011). Refosco is also a member of the supergroup Atoms for Peace and the forró band Forro in the Dark.
Career and education
Born in in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina, Refosco moved to New York, in 1992, to pursue a Masters education at the Manhattan School of Music. He has written and produced music for Off-Broadway productions, composed soundtracks for films and performed as a member of various bands.
Refosco obtained a Bachelor in Percussion at the São Paulo State University in 1990 and Masters in Percussion at the Manhattan School of Music in 1994. After completing his masters program he started recording and performing with various American artists.
Forro in the Dark
Forro in the Dark is a New York City-based group of Brazilian musicians who play a modern update on forró, a traditional music that originates from the Northeast of Brazil On October 16, 2002 (Refosco's birthday), he invited some friends over for a forró-style jam session at Nublu, a nightclub located in the East Village district of New York City. The group was such a hit that they started a weekly residency at the club. Their public prominence increased due to their extended residency at Nublu, where they came into contact with prominent New York influence David Byrne, who helped propel further recognition for the band when they collaborated on Forro in the Dark’s 2006 album Bonfires of São João.
Atoms for Peace
In 2009, Refosco joined Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist, Flea and Radiohead singer, Thom Yorke in their side-project, Atoms for Peace. in order to perform his solo work live.The band released their debut album, Amok in 2013 and embarked on their first tour from July 2013 to November 2013.
Red Hot Chili Peppers
In 2011, Mauro performed on several tracks of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album, I'm with You along with the b-sides compilation, I'm Beside You, which was released in 2013. Refosco joined the band's touring lineup as a percussionist in 2011 for their I'm with You World Tour. During the band's encores, Refosco along with the band's drummer, Chad Smith and usually start off with a lengthy drum/percussion jam showing off both musicians abilities. Refosco was featured on all of the band's live releases from the tour, which came to an end in April 2013.  He would again hit the road with the band for another tour with dates all over the world scheduled from May 2013 to June 2014. The Red Hot Chili Peppers plan to begin work on their eleventh studio album in February 2014 however it is unknown if Refosco will play on any of the new music.
Refosco has also been featured as a member of the music department, mainly as a percussionist on various movie and television projects including the 2007 animated movie, Surf's Up in which he wrote the song, "Forrowest" with Forro in the Dark. The song also is featured on the soundtrack.
with Forro in the Dark
- Bonfires of São João (2006)
- Dia de Roda (2008)
- Light a Candle (2009)
- I'm With You (2011)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Live: I'm with You (2011)
- Official Bootlegs (2011-2013)
- 2011 Live EP (2012)
- I'm With You Sessions (2012-2013)
- I'm Beside You (2013)
with Atoms for Peace
- Amok (2013)
with David Byrne
with Jota Quest
- Funky Funky Boom Boom (2013)
- Side Streets (1998)
- Earthly Possessions (1999)
- The Backyardigans (2004)
- Ira & Abby (2006)
- Surf's Up (wrote the song, "Forrowest") (2007)
- Be Kind Rewind (2008)
- This Must Be the Place (2011)
- Fusilli, Jim (2009-11-29). "Forro in the Dark's Mauro Refosco on Moving Your Hips to Forró Music, Working with Radiohead's Thom Yorke - Speakeasy - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Forro in the Dark (Official Website)". Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- Pareles, Jon (2010-04-07). "A Thinker Finds His Funk". The New York Times.
- "Meet Mauro Refosco, Thom Yorke´s New Percussionist". Twentyfourbit.com. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Makarechi, Kia (2013-03-21). "Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith On Thom Yorke, Coachella And Lobbying Lawmakers In D.C.". Huffington Post.
- "Red Hot Chili Peppers Roar Back at Secret California Show | David Fricke". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Brody, Meredith (2009-06-27). "Friday Night: David Byrne at the Greek Theatre - San Francisco Music - All Shook Down". Blogs.sfweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.