|Born||Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|Genres||Alternative rock, forró, jazz, funk rock, experimental rock, IDM, electronica|
|Associated acts||Atoms for Peace, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Forro in the Dark, David Byrne, Lounge Lizards|
Mauro Refosco is a Brazilian percussionist, based in New York City. He is best known as the recording and touring percussionist for the American rock band Red Hot Chili Peppers, with whom he has recorded one studio album, I'm With You (2011), and its subsequent b-sides compilation, I'm Beside You (2013). Refosco is also a member of the supergroup Atoms for Peace - alongside Thom Yorke, of Radiohead, and his Red Hot Chili Peppers bandmate Flea - and the forró band Forro in the Dark.
Born in in the southern Brazilian state of Santa Catarina, Refosco moved to New York, in 1992, to pursue a Masters education at the Manhattan School of Music. He has written and produced music for Off-Broadway productions, composed soundtracks for films and performed as a member of various bands.
Career and education
Refosco obtained a Bachelor in Percussion at the São Paulo State University in 1990 and Masters in Percussion at the Manhattan School of Music in 1994. After completing his masters program he started recording and performing with various American artists. Since 1994, he has toured with David Byrne, most recently from 2008 to 2009 in support of his collaboration with Brian Eno, Everything that Happens Will Happen Today. Mauro is also a member of Atoms for Peace, founded by Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke in 2009 in order to perform his solo work live. In 2011, Mauro performed on several tracks of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' latest album I'm with You, and he is currently on a world tour with the band as their guest percussionist. Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist, Flea is also a member of Atoms for Peace. When he's not on tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, he continues to perform with his band Forro in the Dark, a New York City-based group of Brazilian musicians who play a modern update on forró, a traditional music that originates from the Northeast of Brazil.
The Chili Peppers I'm With You World Tour will end in April 2013. Following two June 2013 festival dates with the Chili Peppers, Refosco along with Flea will tour with Atoms for Peace from July to November 2013.
with Forro in the Dark
- Bonfires of São João (2006)
- Light a Candle (2009)
- I'm With You (2011)
- Red Hot Chili Peppers Live: I'm with You (2011)
- Official Bootlegs (2011-2013)
- 2011 Live EP (2012)
- I'm With You Sessions (2012-2013)
- I'm Beside You (2013)
- Love This Giant (2012)
with Atoms for Peace
- Amok (2013)
- Fusilli, Jim (2009-11-29). "Forro in the Dark's Mauro Refosco on Moving Your Hips to Forró Music, Working with Radiohead's Thom Yorke - Speakeasy - WSJ". Blogs.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- Brody, Meredith (2009-06-27). "Friday Night: David Byrne at the Greek Theatre - San Francisco Music - All Shook Down". Blogs.sfweekly.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Meet Mauro Refosco, Thom Yorke´s New Percussionist". Twentyfourbit.com. 2009-09-29. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Red Hot Chili Peppers Roar Back at Secret California Show | David Fricke". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
|This Brazilian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This New York City–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|