Mausoleum of Theoderic
||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the German Wikipedia. (December 2011)|
The current structure of the mausoleum is divided into two decagonal orders, one above the other; both are made of Istria stone. Its roof is a single 2.30–ton Istrian stone, 10 meters in diameter. A niche leads down to a room that was probably a chapel for funeral liturgies; a stair leads to the upper floor. Located in the centre of the floor is a circular porphyry stone grave, in which Theoderic was buried. His remains were removed during Byzantine rule, when the mausoleum was turned into a Christian oratory. In the late 19th century, silting from a nearby rivulet that had partly submerged the mausoleum was drained and excavated.
It was inscribed with seven other "Early Christian Monuments and Mosaics of Ravenna" buildings as one of the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1996. According to the ICOMOS evaluation, "the significance of the mausoleum lies in its Gothic style and decoration, which owe nothing to Roman or Byzantine art, although it makes use of the Roman stone construction technique of opus quadratum, which had been abandoned four centuries before" and in the fact that "it is the only surviving example of a tomb of a king of this period."
An approximate replica of this tomb was constructed in the USA in 1925 when the Taplin Gorge Dam was constructed north of Fergus Falls, Minnesota. The designer (Vernon Wright who was also the president of the dam's owner - the Otter Tail Power Company) based the design of the powerhouse on this mausoleum.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mausoleum of Theoderic the Great.|
- Ostrogothic Ravenna
- Palace of Theoderic now lost, also in Ravenna
- Sparlösa Runestone
- Haus Potsdam
- Weitzmann, Kurt, ed., Age of spirituality: late antique and early Christian art, third to seventh century, no. 109, 1979, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, ISBN 9780870991790; full text available online from The Metropolitan Museum of Art Libraries
- Ravenna Turismo Timetable and informations for visiting the Mausoleum and other Ravenna Monuments, in Italian, English and German.
- Original text adopted from . No copyright notice has been found on the site so far. Please remove the text and the photo if you find one.
- Revolving image of the upper floor. The dark color tub appears at the lower corner.
- Download a free paper model of Theoderic's Mausoleum (www.papermodel.cz)