|Jmol-3D images||Image 1|
|Molar mass||313.39 g mol−1|
|Except where noted otherwise, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C (77 °F), 100 kPa)|
Mavoglurant is under development by Novartis and is currently in Phase II and Phase III clinical trials. Phase IIb/III dose finding and evaluation trials for fragile X-syndrome have been discontinued by the end of 2014.  Otherwise, it would have been the first drug to treat the underlying disorder instead of the symptoms of fragile X syndrome.
Mavoglurant is also in Phase II clinical trials for Levodopa-induced dyskinesia.
In 2007, Norvartis had conducted a clinical study to assess its ability of reducing cigarette smoking, but no results had been published up till now.
Currently Novartis is conducting a clinical trial with this drug on obsessive compulsive disorder.
Novartis discontinued development of mavoglurant for fragile X syndrome in April 2014 following disappointing trial results.
- P. Cole (2012). "Mavoglurant". Drugs of the Future 37 (1): 7–12. doi:10.1358/dof.2012.37.1.1772147 (inactive 2014-03-23).
- Levenga, J; Hayashi, S; De Vrij, FM; Koekkoek, SK; Van Der Linde, HC; Nieuwenhuizen, I; Song, C; Buijsen, RA et al. (2011). "AFQ056, a new mGluR5 antagonist for treatment of fragile X syndrome". Neurobiology of disease 42 (3): 311–7. doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2011.01.022. PMID 21316452.
- Jacquemont, S.; Curie, A.; Des Portes, V.; Torrioli, M. G.; Berry-Kravis, E.; Hagerman, R. J.; Ramos, F. J.; Cornish, K. et al. (2011). "Epigenetic Modification of the FMR1 Gene in Fragile X Syndrome is Associated with Differential Response to the mGluR5 Antagonist AFQ056". Science Translational Medicine 3 (64): 64ra1. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.3001708. PMID 21209411.
- "AFQ056 drug improves symptoms in Fragile X patients: Study". news-medical.net. January 9, 2011.
- "Mavoglurant (AFQ056) in combination with increased levodopa dosages in Parkinson's disease patients.". Int J Neurosci. Sep 2013. doi:10.3109/00207454.2013.841685. PMID 24007304.
- "NHI Clinical trials".
- "Effects of AFQ056 and Nicotine in Reducing Cigarette Smoking".
- "Study to Evaluate the Effect of AFQ056 in Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)".
- FRAXA (2014). "Novartis Discontinues Development of mavoglurant (AFQ056) for Fragile X Syndrome".
|This drug article relating to the nervous system is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|