December 6, 1949 |
Yuli Township, Hualien County, Taiwan
|Institutions||University of Houston
University of Alabama in Huntsville
National Tsing Hua University
National Science Council
National Dong Hwa University
|Alma mater||Tamkang University
University of Houston
|Notable awards||Comstock Prize in Physics (1988)|
Maw-Kuen Wu (吳茂昆; pinyin: Wú Màokūn, born December 6, 1949) is a Taiwanese-American physicist specializing in superconductivity, low-temperature physics, and high-pressure physics. He was a professor of physics at Columbia University. He is the Director of the Institute of Physics at the Academia Sinica, and the President of the National Dong Hwa University.
Wu worked as a research scientist at his alma mater for 2 years, before being taken on as an assistant professor of physics at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and then subsequently promoted to professor in 1987. Along with Chu Ching-wu, Wu made the historic discovery of superconductivity above 77 K in YBCO in 1987. Wu was then invited to teach at the National Tsing Hua University, and conduct further research in high-temperature superconductivity.
Maw-Kuen Wu served as Chairman of the R.O.C. National Science Council from 2004 to 2006. He currently serves as both the Director of the Institute of Physics at the Academia Sinica and the President of the National Dong Hwa University.
Maw-Kuen Wu and his wife have two children.
- 1988 USA Chinese Association of Engineering Annual Award
- 1988 State of Alabama Resolution
- 1988 University of Alabama Research Award
- 1988 U.S.A. National Academy of Science Comstock Prize
- 1989 Tamkang Golden Eagle Award
- 1994 Fellow, Chinese Physical Society
- 1994 Bernd T. Matthias Prize
- 1995 Y. T. Lee Outstanding Scientist Award
- 1998 NASA Special Awards
- 2007 Ettore Majorana-Erice-Science for Peace Prize
- 2009 Taiwanese-American Foundation (TAF) Award
- 2010-03 Germany Humboldt Research Award
- M. K. Wu, J. R. Ashburn, C. J. Torng, P. H. Hor, R. L. Meng, L. Gao, Z. J. Huang, Y. Q. Wang, and C. W. Chu (1987). "SUPERCONDUCTIVITY AT 93-K IN A NEW MIXED-PHASE Y-BA-CU-O COMPOUND SYSTEM AT AMBIENT PRESSURE". Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (9): 908–910. Bibcode:1987PhRvL..58..908W. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.58.908. PMID 10035069.
|Director of the Academia Sinica Institute of Physics