Max Planck Institute for Software Systems
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (August 2010)|
The Max Planck Institute for Software Systems (MPI-SWS) is a computer science research institute co-located in Saarbrücken and Kaiserslautern, Germany. The institute is chartered to conduct basic research in all areas related to the design, analysis, modeling, implementation and evaluation of complex software systems. Particular areas of interest include programming systems, distributed and networked systems, embedded and autonomous systems, as well as crosscutting aspects like formal modeling and analysis of software systems, security, dependability and software engineering. It joins over 80 other institutes run by the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, which conduct world-class basic research in medicine, biology, chemistry, physics, technology and the humanities.
The Max Planck Institute for Software Systems is co-located, and works closely with, the MPI for Informatics (MPII), the computer science departments at the University of Kaiserslautern and the Saarland University, the German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence (DFKI), the Fraunhofer Institutes for Experimental Software Engineering and for Industrial Mathematics and other computing research centers within the Kaiserslautern-Saarbrücken computer science cluster.
Research School 
The International Max Planck Research School for Computer Science (IMPRS-CS) is the graduate school of the MPI-SWS and the MPII. It was founded in 2000 and offers a fully funded PhD-Program (in cooperation with Saarland University). Dean is Prof. Dr. Gerhard Weikum.
The institute was founded in November 2004 and is actively growing. Over the course of the next few years, the institute's scientific staff will grow to 5 directors, 12 tenure-track or tenured professors, and approximately 100 postdocs and doctoral students.
Currently, the institute consists of following research groups:
- Distributed Systems and Operating Systems Group is headed by Peter Druschel.
- Networked Systems Group is headed by Krishna Gummadi.
- Dependable Systems Group is headed by Rodrigo Rodrigues.
- Large Scale Internet Systems Group is headed by Paul Francis.
- Programming Languages and Systems Group is headed by Umut Acar.
- Rigorous Software Engineering Group is headed by Rupak Majumdar.
- Software Analysis and Verification Group is headed by Viktor Vafeiadis.
- Type Systems and Functional Programming Group is headed by Derek Dreyer.
- Information Security and Cryptography Group is headed by Michael Backes.
See also 
- Max Planck Institute for Software Systems Homepage
- Max-Planck-Gesellschaft Homepage
- International Max Planck Research School for Computer Science