Max Steel (film)
|Directed by||Stewart Hendler|
|Produced by||Bill O'Dowd
|Written by||Christopher Yost|
|Based on||Max Steel
|Edited by||Michael Louis Hill|
|Distributed by||Open Road Films|
Max Steel is an upcoming American action adventure film directed by Stewart Hendler and written by Christopher Yost, and stars Ben Winchell, Ana Villafañe, Andy García, Maria Bello and Billy Slaughter. The film chronicles the adventures of teenage Max McGrath and alien companion Steel, who harness and combine their tremendous powers to evolve into the turbo charged superhero Max Steel.
The filming began on April 29, 2014, in Wilmington, North Carolina and wrapped in late-May, 2014. Dolphin Films and Mattel Entertainment are co-producing while Open Road Films will release the film in US in 2015.
Max Steel is an in-depth “origin” story packed with captivating characters and fast-paced action. The plot chronicles the adventures of teenage Max McGrath™ and alien companion Steel, who must harness and combine their tremendous new powers to evolve into the turbo-charged superhero Max Steel. As these two unlikely friends struggle to accept their oddly connected fates, they begin to uncover unimaginable secrets, working together to find the truth, and fighting the mysterious forces threatening their world.
- Ben Winchell as Max McGrath
- Ana Villafañe as Sofia Martinez
- Andy García as Dr. Miles Edwards
- Maria Bello as Molly McGrath
- Mike Doyle as Jim McGrath
- Billy Slaughter as Agent Murphy
On July 12, 2009, it was announced that Paramount Pictures had bought the film rights to Mattel's action figure Max Steel, with Joe Roth to produce the film. On January 28, 2013, Deadline reported that due to the relaunch of Max Steel in 2013, all plans for a live action movie were suspended. On August 2, 2013, it was revealed that after the film rights expired by Paramount, Mattel partnered with Dolphin Entertainment to finance the film. Christopher Yost was set to write the script while Stewart Hendler has been attached to direct. On September 4, 2013 it was announced that Mattel had revived their plans to produce the film, and set Open Road Films to distribute the film in late 2014.
On December 4, 2009, Taylor Lautner joined the cast to play the title role. On February 26, 2010, it was confirmed that Lautner had dropped out of the film in favor of Hasbro and Universal's Stretch Armstrong. On February 5, 2014, Ben Winchell and Ana Villafane joined the cast to play the lead roles, Ben as Max McGrath/Max Steel and Ana as Max's love interest Sofia Martinez. On April 23, Billy Slaughter was added to the cast to play Agent Murphy. On April 29, Andy García joined the cast to play Dr. Miles Edwards. On May 13, Maria Bello joined the film to star as Molly McGrath, Max's resilient single mother. On May 20, Mike Doyle was added to the cast to play Max's father Jim McGrath.
- Kit, Borys (2 August 2013). "'Max Steel' Back in Action at Dolphin Entertainment". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Roxborough, Scott (5 February 2014). "Ben Winchell, Ana Villafane Join 'Max Steel'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- "Andy Garcia Joins ‘Max Steel’". deadline.com. April 29, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (May 13, 2014). "Maria Bello Joins Andy Garcia in Young Superhero Movie ‘Max Steel’". thewrap.com. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Kroll, Justin (May 20, 2014). "‘Jersey Boys’ Actor Joins Open Road’s ‘Max Steel’". variety.com. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- "Max Steel adds Billy Slaughter to cast". wilmywoodnc.com. April 23, 2014. Retrieved July 4, 2014.
- Graser, Marc (12 July 2009). "Paramount toys with ‘Max Steel’ pic". variety.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (28 January 2013). "Mattel Rebooting ‘Max Steel’ Property With New Animated TV Series". deadline.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Graser, Marc (4 September 2013). "‘Max Steel’ Movie Gets New Life at Open Road Films as Mattel Reboots Toy Line". variety.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Finke, Nikki (4 December 2009). "Taylor Lautner To Be Paramount’s Next Big Action Star". deadline.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Brodesser-Akner, Claude (26 February 2010). "Taylor Lautner Drops Mattel’s Max Steel to Make Hasbro’s Stretch Armstrong". vulture.com. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Christine (22 April 2014). "‘Max Steel’ begins filming in Wilmington, NC". onlocationvacations.com. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- "'Max Steel' wraps local production this weekend". StarNewsOnline.com. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- Taylor, Drew (July 3, 2014). "Get Your Alien Powers Going With These Exclusive 'Max Steel' Photos". moviefone.com. Retrieved July 3, 2014.
- Kevin Polowy (2014-07-14). "Exclusive Photos from Next Year's Super-Teen Epic 'Max Steel'". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-08-01.