|— Gymnast —|
|Country represented|| Great Britain
13 January 1993 |
Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England
|Hometown||Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, England|
|Height||167 cm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||56 kg (123 lb; 8 st 11 lb)|
|Discipline||Men's artistic gymnastics|
|Head coach(es)||Scott Hann|
In 2012, he was part of the first British men's gymnastics team to win the European Championships and the first British men's team to win a medal at an Olympic games in 100 years. In 2014 he was part of the English team to win that competition at the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Individually, Whitlock won the bronze medal at pommel horse at the 2012 Summer Olympics and the silver on the apparatus at the 2013 World Championships. He has been European champion on both floor and pommel horse, and won the floor and all-around individual title at the 2014 Commonwealth Games. In 2014, Whitlock won the silver medal in the all-around competition at the 2014 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships, matching Daniel Keatings for the best performance in a World all-around competition by a British gymnast.
In October 2010 he was part of the team which won the silver medal for England in the gymnastics in the men's artistic all-around team event at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. He also won the silver medal in the men's pommel horse and a bronze medal in the men's horizontal bar at the same games.
He was an alternate for the British men's team at the 2011 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Tokyo, Japan.
In 2012, he helped the British men's team qualify to the 2012 Summer Olympics in second place at the London Prepares Olympic test event giving clean routines on all six events, and scoring the highest on pommel horse beating his teammate Louis Smith. He went on to win a bronze medal in the Pommel Horse final behind Louis Smith beating world silver medallist Cyril Tommasone.
In May, he was part of the team that won Gold in the European Championships in Montpellier. This was the first time the British men's team had won a Team Gold, beating both Russia and Romania. He also qualified for the Pommel Horse final, where he finished in 6th place.
2012 Summer Olympics
Whitlock was a member of Britain's gymnastics team at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, where he helped the team claim a bronze medal at the team final on 30 July 2012 at the North Greenwich Arena. This was the first time the men's team had won a medal since 1912. He also claimed the bronze medal in the pommel event final, once again beating the 2011 world silver medallist, Cyril Tommasone, with a score of 15.600, with Hungary's Krisztián Berki taking gold with the same score as Whitlock's GB team mate Louis Smith, but winning the gold on account of a higher execution rating.
On 19 April 2013, Whitlock won a complete collection of medals; a silver medal in the individual all-around competition at the 2013 European Championships, with a total score of 89.106 points behind Russian gold medalist David Belyavskiy, the gold medal in the floor exercise, and a bronze medal in the pommel horse.
Between 19-25 May 2014, at the 2014 European Championships in Sofia. Whitlock, with his four Great Britain teammates, took Team silver medal behind Russia with a total score of 262.087 points. In event finals, Whitlock won the gold medal in pommel horse (16.166) ahead of 2012 Olympic champion Krisztián Berki.
At the 2014 Commonwealth Games, Whitlock, with his four England teammates, took Team gold with a score of 266.804 points. In the artistic individual all-around, Whitlock won the gold medal with a score of 90.631 points. Whitlock won his third gold in the Men's Floor final with a score of 15.533. He took silver in the Pommel Horse final with a score of 15.966 and bronze in the parallel bars final.
Whitlock was chosen to compete for Great Britain at 2014 World Artistic Gymnastics Championships in Nanning, China. He had a difficult time in qualifications, with a fall on Floor Exercise and costly errors on Pommel Horse. He did not qualify for any of the individual finals have failed to score high enough on his two best events (Floor and Pommel Horse) and was the third qualifier for the individual All Around behind teammates Daniel Purvis and Nile Wilson. After the team competition, Wilson pulled out of the competition due to a wrist injury. This enabled Max to take a place in the Individual All-Around. He hit all six events totalling a score of 90.473, winning the Silver Medal behind Kohei Uchimura who scored 91.965 to win his fifth World All-Around Championship.
- GRO reference: February 1993, Register Number A33, District and subdistrict 5301A, Entry 260
- "Essex pair Whitlock and Lawrence hail 'amazing' silver". BBC News. 5 October 2010.
- "Commonwealth Games 2010: Imogen Cairns wins vault gold". 7 October 2010.
- "Commonwealth Games 2010: Folwell & Cairns win golds". BBC News. 8 October 2010.
- Max can start dreaming of Olympics spot (From Echo)
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/gymnastics/16538978.stm BBC Sport 12 Jan 2012 Louis Smith and Dan Purvis win gold at Olympic test event
- "London 2012 Olympics: Great Britain men win first ever team gold at the European Gymnastics Championships". The Daily Telegraph. 28 May 2012.
- FIG Profile Max Whitlock http://fig.lx2.sportcentric.com/athletes/14488
- "Olympic gymnastics: bronze for GB as Japan win silver on appeal". BBC News. 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "Men's All Around Final Results" (PDF). European Union of Gymnastics. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- "Ablyazin, Wilson Dominate European Finals". international gymnast. Retrieved 25 May 2014.
- Hope, Nick (24 May 2014). "European Gymnastics: British men battle back to secure silver". BBC Sport. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Brown, Oliver (29 July 2014). "Commonwealth Games 2014: England's men and women gymnasts take double gold". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
- Howson, Nick (30 July 2014). "Glasgow 2014: Max Whitlock Wins Second Commonwealth Gold in Men's Gymnastics All-Around". International Business Times. Retrieved 30 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Max Whitlock.|