Max van den Berg
|Max van den Berg|
|Max van der Berg in 2007|
|Queen's Commissioner in Groningen|
September 1, 2007
|Monarch||Beatrix of the Netherlands|
|Preceded by||Hans Alders|
March 22, 1946 |
Ammerstol, The Netherlands
|Political party||Labour Party|
|Spouse(s)||Geke van der Wal|
Margrietus Johannes (Max) van den Berg (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈmɑr.ˌɣri.tʏs ˈjoː.ˌɦɑ.nəs (ˈmɑks) vɐn dən ˈbɛrx]) (born March 22, 1946) is a Dutch politician and member of the Dutch Labour Party. From 1979 to 1986 he was the chairperson of that party and from 1999 to 2007 he was a Member of the European Parliament. Since 2007 he has been the Queen's Commissioner in Groningen.
Early life 
His high school was the Carmelieten Paters in Oldenzaal. In 1969 he received his degree in sociology in Groningen, where he specialized in urban planning and political science. From 1969 to 1970 he was an academic staff member and lecturer at the sociology faculty of the University of Groningen.
Political career 
From July 20, 1999, to September 1, 2007, he was a Member of the European Parliament. He was the leader of the PvdA delegation in the European Parliament, and from 1999 to 2004 he was also vice-chairman of the Committee on Development and Cooperation. He is also a substitute for the Committee on International Trade and the Subcommittee on Human Rights, vice-chair of the delegation for relations with the countries of the Andean Community, a substitute for the delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly, and a member of the temporary committee on policy challenges and budgetary means of the enlarged Union 2007–2013.
Max van den Berg is or was a member of several organisations:
- Member of Eurostep (1990–1999)
- Member of Oxfam International (1995–1999)
- Member of the board of governors of the African Studies Centre, Leiden
- Member of the management board of the Jan Vrijman Foundation
- Chairman of the management board, Theater Zeebelt, The Hague
- Member of the management board of Wereldomroep (Radio Netherlands International), Zeist
- Member of the management board of the Design Academy, Eindhoven
- Drs. M.J. van den Berg. Retrieved on 2007-11-16.
- (Dutch) Max van den Berg (official website)