Maximilian Ritter von Pohl
|Maximilian Ritter von Pohl|
|Born||15 April 1893
|Died||26 July 1951
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Weimar Republic (to 1933)
|Service/branch||Deutsches Heer (1912–1918)
|Years of service||1912–1945|
|Rank||General der Flieger|
|Commands held||Kommandierender General der Luftwaffe in Mittelitalien|
|Awards||Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross|
Maximilian Ritter von Pohl[a] (15 April 1893 – 26 July 1951) was a highly decorated General der Flieger in the Luftwaffe during World War II. He was also a recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross. The Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross was awarded to recognise extreme battlefield bravery or successful military leadership. Maximilian Ritter von Pohl was captured by American troops in May 1945 and was held until 1947.
Awards and decorations
- Iron Cross (1914)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Wound Badge (1914)
- in Black
- Cross of Honor
- Iron Cross (1939)
- 2nd Class
- 1st Class
- Anti-Aircraft Flak Battle Badge
- German Cross in Gold (7 February 1944)
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross on 15 June 1944 as General der Flieger and commanding general of the Luftwaffe in Mittelitalien (central Italy)
- Mentioned in the Wehrmachtbericht (5 June 1944)
- a Regarding personal names: Ritter is a title, translated approximately as Knight, not a first or middle name. There is no equivalent female form.
- Fellgiebel 2000, p. 279.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.