Maxton, North Carolina
|Maxton, North Carolina|
Maxton, North Carolina
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Mayor||Salle McLean|
|• Total||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Land||2.2 sq mi (5.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||194 ft (59 m)|
|• Density||1,145.3/sq mi (442.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1021370|
The Maxton area was first settled in the 1700s. The community was incorporated in 1874 under the name of Shoe Hill. The name changed to Tilden, in honor of 1876 U.S. President candidate Samuel J. Tilden. The name reverted to Shoe Hill in 1881 before finally settling on Maxton in 1887.
Maxton is the location of several former, but historically important schools.
Flora MacDonald College was founded in 1841. It was the first college in North Carolina to grant degrees to women.
Maxton is located at (34.738147, -79.351068).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.8 km²), all land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,551 people, 985 households, and 676 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,145.3 people per square mile (441.7/km²). There were 1,073 housing units at an average density of 481.7 per square mile (185.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 25.52% White, 64.09% African American,7.02% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.16% Pacific Islander, 1.10% from other races, and 1.80% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.61% of the population.
There were 985 households out of which 31.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 36.3% were married couples living together, 28.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.3% were non-families. 27.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.16.
In the town the population was spread out with 29.3% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 26.0% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females there were 84.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.0 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $23,143, and the median income for a family was $30,039. Males had a median income of $27,259 versus $20,218 for females. The per capita income for the town was $12,783. About 23.7% of families and 28.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 43.4% of those under age 18 and 22.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Angus McLean (1870–1935) – Governor of North Carolina 1924–1928.
- Malcom McLean (1913–2001) – trucking industry innovator and "father of containerization".
- Alice B. Russell (1892–1984) – singer and actress married to Oscar Micheaux.
- Allen LaGrant "Mickey" Bowers (1949-) is a retired American professional baseball player, scout, coach and manager whose entire uniformed career took place in minor league baseball.
- Gilbert Brown Patterson (1863 – 1922) was an American politician and a member of the United States House of Representatives from North Carolina.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "History". Town of Maxton. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.