|• Total||2.150 sq mi (5.569 km2)|
|• Land||2.150 sq mi (5.569 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2) 0%|
|Elevation||92 ft (28 m)|
|• Density||510/sq mi (200/km2)|
|Time zone||Pacific (PST) (UTC-8)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature IDs||228245, 2583074|
Maxwell (formerly, Occident) is a census-designated place and farm community in Colusa County, California. It lies at an elevation of 92 feet (28 m). Located off Interstate 5, it is home to Maxwell High School. The main crop grown is rice, though a variety of others such as grapes, almonds, squash, and sunflowers are grown as well. Its zip code is 95955 and its area code is 530. Maxwell's population was 1,103 at the 2010 census.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Maxwell had a population of 1,103. The population density was 512.9 people per square mile (198.0/km²). The racial makeup of Maxwell was 734 (66.5%) White, 11 (1.0%) African American, 14 (1.3%) Native American, 9 (0.8%) Asian, 2 (0.2%) Pacific Islander, 306 (27.7%) from other races, and 27 (2.4%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 570 persons (51.7%).
The Census reported that 1,103 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 365 households, out of which 156 (42.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 208 (57.0%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 43 (11.8%) had a female householder with no husband present, 24 (6.6%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 12 (3.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 5 (1.4%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 79 households (21.6%) were made up of individuals and 38 (10.4%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.02. There were 275 families (75.3% of all households); the average family size was 3.56.
The population was spread out with 356 people (32.3%) under the age of 18, 89 people (8.1%) aged 18 to 24, 265 people (24.0%) aged 25 to 44, 242 people (21.9%) aged 45 to 64, and 151 people (13.7%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33.9 years. For every 100 females there were 108.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.9 males.
There were 408 housing units at an average density of 189.7 per square mile (73.3/km²), of which 235 (64.4%) were owner-occupied, and 130 (35.6%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 0.4%; the rental vacancy rate was 1.5%. 695 people (63.0% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 408 people (37.0%) lived in rental housing units.
In the state legislature, Maxwell is in the 4th Senate District, represented by Republican Jim Nielsen, and the 3rd Assembly District, represented by Republican Dan Logue. Federally, Maxwell is in California's 3rd congressional district, represented by Democrat John Garamendi.
- U.S. Census
- "Maxwell". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Maxwell, California
- All data are derived from the United States Census Bureau reports from the 2010 United States Census, and are accessible on-line here. The data on unmarried partnerships and same-sex married couples are from the Census report DEC_10_SF1_PCT15. All other housing and population data are from Census report DEC_10_DP_DPDP1. Both reports are viewable online or downloadable in a zip file containing a comma-delimited data file. The area data, from which densities are calculated, are available on-line here. Percentage totals may not add to 100% due to rounding. The Census Bureau defines families as a household containing one or more people related to the householder by birth, opposite-sex marriage, or adoption. People living in group quarters are tabulated by the Census Bureau as neither owners nor renters. For further details, see the text files accompanying the data files containing the Census reports mentioned above.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "California's 3rd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.