Maxwell is an unincorporated community in Center Township, Hancock County, Indiana.
Maxwell was laid out and platted in 1881. Maxwell was the name of a railroad employee. The Maxwell post office was established in 1882.
Maxwell is located at 39°51′27″N 85°46′12″W / 39.85750°N 85.77000°W.
- ^ "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- ^ "Maxwell, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Richman, George J. (1916). History of Hancock County, Indiana: Its People, Industries and Institutions. Wm. Mitchell Printing Company. p. 585.
- ^ Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 213. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...Maxwell in honor of a man involved in building the railroad through here.
- ^ "Hancock County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 17 September 2014.