|Directed by||Colin Barr|
|Written by||Craig Warner|
|Distributed by||BBC Two|
|4 May 2007|
Maxwell is a 2007 drama about the last days of media magnate Robert Maxwell, played by David Suchet. The drama chronicles some of the events prior to Maxwell's mysterious death and the discovery of one of his era's biggest business frauds. Some minor fictional elements were added for dramatic license.
Suchet was later awarded an International Emmy for his performance.
- David Suchet as Robert Maxwell
- Patricia Hodge as Elisabeth 'Betty' Maxwell
- Ben Caplan as Kevin Maxwell
- Daniela Denby-Ashe as Andrea, Maxwell's secretary
- Dan Stevens as Basil Brookes
- Duncan Bell as Richard Baker
- Tony Turner as Ron Woods
While doing their research, the production team uncovered a number of tapes. Later in life, Maxwell had become increasingly paranoid and suspicious of his own employees, and so had the meeting rooms and office phones wired. The 79 cassettes include discussions with employees the businessman suspected of disloyalty and conversations with then director of finance Basil Brookes. Maxwell's former head of security had kept it in a suitcase for over 15 years. Some of the actual tapes were played in the film.
Fellow media magnate and business rival Rupert Murdoch is mentioned a number of times in business meetings. Companies referred to include Maxwell Communications Corporation (MCC), Macmillan and Mirror Group.
In one scene, Maxwell was seen reading an edition of the satirical magazine Private Eye. Magazine editor Ian Hislop, and his colleagues, had attempted to investigate the scam and Maxwell later sued Hislop for libel.
In the credits reel some clips of real-live news coverage after his death and the discovery of the fraud were shown.
- "Suchet in title role of BBC Two's Maxwell". BBC Press Office (BBC). 16 February 2007. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "Maxwell's Empire: How It Grew, How It Fell -- A Special Report.; Charming the Big Bankers Out of Billions". New York Times. 20 December 1991.
- Mirror Group Newspapers plc - Investigations under Sections 432(2) and 442 of the Companies Act 1985
- "BBC reveals secret Maxwell tapes". BBC. 25 April 2007.
|This 2000s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a TV movie of the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|