January 21, 1974
Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of The Arts|
|Occupation||Animator, screenwriter, television producer, voice actor|
According to Atoms, his inspirations in cartooning started in school with surrealism, influenced by monster movies and old Saturday morning cartoons. Atoms has stated to interviewers that anything is possible in animation: the only limit is your imagination. Atoms grew up in Colorado Springs, Colorado and is an animation graduate from the University of The Arts, Philadelphia. He got his first job as an intern at Film Roman at 22 years of age.
He is the creator of Cartoon Network's animated television series The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, Evil Con Carne, and has developed a Billy & Mandy spin-off Halloween special called Underfist. Before he started working on his own series, Atoms was an intern at Film Roman, a freelance artist at Warner Bros., had a brief stint at Wild Brain and had also worked on Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat. Atoms got a job at Hanna-Barbera and as a writer and storyboard artist on Cow and Chicken and I Am Weasel. Atoms also performed the voice of "Jeff the Spider" and "Piff" on The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy, and voiced "Cod Commando" on Evil Con Carne. He also voiced several additional characters in the TV-movie Billy & Mandy's Big Boogie Adventure. Atoms has been recognized several times for innovation and creativity in his work.
Atoms is good friends with fellow animator Tom "Mr." Warburton, creator of Codename: Kids Next Door and C. H. Greenblatt, the creator of Chowder. He and Tom have made multiple references to each other's shows and have made a cross-over TV movie, The Grim Adventures of the Kids Next Door. As well for C.H, Chowder made a brief cameo on Underfist. Atoms is currently an executive producer and voice actor of the Disney show Fish Hooks with Noah Z. Jones.
As of 2012, Atoms begun developing a new project entitled Dead Meat, "an awesome black comedy/buddy action/puppet gore web series", which is still in production as of July 2013 and had a successful Kickstarter campaign as of November 15, 2013. He also said through his Tumblr that he was on a pilot that would be pitched to Disney, however he later said through twitter that it wasn't going to happen and "he and Mickey didn't see eye to eye.
- Special internship, Film Roman. University of the Arts. 1996.
- Annie nomination (1998)- Outstanding Individual Achievement for Storyboarding in an Animated Television Production. Cow & Chicken “The Karate Chick”.
- Top Pick Cartoons (2001-2). TV Guide.
- Comic-Con (2005, 2006 and 2007).
- 34th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards, Children's Programming, 2007 - The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy
- "Video Game Features, PC Game Features". Retrieved 2010-04-03.
- "Fish Hooks announcement" (Press release). Disney Channel Medianet. October 30, 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-28.
- Maxwell Atoms at the Internet Movie Database.
- Maxwell Atoms' blogger page
- Maxwell Atoms' tumblr page