Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts
|Location||3865 North Wickham Rd
|Type||Performing arts center|
|Opened||10 April 1988|
|Owner||Brevard Community College|
|Former name(s)||Brevard Performing Arts Center|
|Capacity||2,000 seat main theater|
|Website||King Center website|
The Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts is a performing arts venue located at 3865 North Wickham Road, Melbourne, Florida. The main theater of the 126,000 square feet (11,700 m2) facility contains 2,016 seats.
The Florida Legislature approved funds for initial design work in 1983 and construction in 1985-86 for the $12.3 million facility. In 1988, the venue opened under the name Brevard Performing Arts Center with two sold out performances of Singin' in the Rain. The next year, the named changed to Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts.
The center employs 10 full-time and 57 part-time employees. There are 400 volunteers.
Endowment was $3.5 million in 2009.
In 2009, it needed $2 million in repairs. It lost $911,000 in 2008. Management estimated that they would lose $700,000 in 2009.
- Datzman, Ken. "Boston Pops to perform here as main event for King Center celebration", Brevard Business News, vol. 30, no. 40 (Melbourne, Florida: Brevard Business News, 1 October 2012), pp. 1 and 16.
- Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts. "Our Mission & History", Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts website, 2007-2008. Retrieved on January 06, 2008.
- Florida Today. The Fact Book: Your Guide to Brevard County (Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today, February 28, 2004), p. 117.
- Spitzer, Michelle (21 February 2010). "Battle-worn board defends its worth". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1A.
- Spitzer, Michelle (4 December 2009). "King Center eases concerns over losses". Melbourne, Florida: Florida Today. pp. 1A.
Marquee sign at the King Center
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maxwell C. King Center for the Performing Arts.|
- King Center website (official website)