Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
|The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs|
|Motto||Advancing Citizenship, Scholarship, and Leadership around the world.|
|Dean||James B. Steinberg|
|Location||Syracuse, NY, USA|
The Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs (commonly known as the Maxwell School) is the public policy school of Syracuse University. The school conducts research and offers graduate degrees in the social sciences, public administration, and international affairs.
The Maxwell School is the oldest public affairs school in the United States.
The school is named for George Holmes Maxwell, a Syracuse alumnus and Boston patent attorney who in 1924 donated $500,000 to the university to establish a school which would aim to "to cull from every source those principles, facts, and elements which, combined, make up our rights and duties and our value and distinctiveness as United States citizens".
The Maxwell School was dedicated on October 3, 1924, and was the first program to offer a graduate professional degree in public administration. Its Master of Public Administration (MPA) program is the oldest continuously operating University-based program in the United States.
In 1937, the school took its full name and moved into Maxwell Hall, a purpose-built building on the west end of Syracuse University's main campus.
In 1968, Maxwell professor Dwight Waldo presided over the Minnowbrook I conference, which established the foundations for New Public Administration. Subsequent Minnowbrook II and III conferences were held in 1988 and 2008 at the eponymous Blue Mountain Lake retreat.
The school's rapid growth necessitated the 1990 "Campaign for Maxwell", which raised capital to fund a new building to accommodate the expansion. The result of the campaign was the Bohlin Cywinski Jackson-designed Eggers Hall, which opened in 1994. Eggers Hall adjoins Maxwell Hall at the corner, together forming an "L" shaped complex that houses the present-day Maxwell School.
Maxwell has been ranked as the top graduate program for public affairs in the country by U.S. News and World Report since that magazine began publishing such rankings in 1995. Maxwell is the only school among the 50 in the U.S. News and World Report survey that ranks in the top ten of all nine specialty areas (City Management, Environmental Policy & Management, Health Policy & Management, Information & Technology Management, Nonprofit Management, Public Finance & Budgeting, Public Management/Administration, Public Policy Analysis, and Social Policy).
Joint and Concurrent Degrees
- Master of Public Health, with SUNY Upstate Medical
- Public Diplomacy, with the Newhouse School
- Documentary Film and History, with the Newhouse School
- Masters in Public Administration with School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS), Johns Hopkins University
Maxwell maintains formal relationships with a number of American and global institutions, among them the China National School of Administration, Tsinghua University, the Hertie School of Governance, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, and Lomonosov Moscow State University.
Government and Politics
- John R. Bass, US Ambassador to Georgia (BA '86)
- John Berry, US Ambassador to Australia (MPA '81)
- David Bing, Mayor, City of Detroit (MS '06 & JD '06)
- Andrew R. Ciesla, Senator, State of New Jersey (MPA '76)
- James B. Cunningham, Ambassador for Kabul, Afghanistan (BA '74)
- Kwabena Duffuor, Finance Minister of Ghana (MA '75)
- Robert Duffy, New York Lieutenant Governor (MPA '98)
- James E. Graves, Jr., Federal Judge, United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (MPA '81
- Stanley L. Greigg, former member of the U.S. House of Representatives from northwestern Iowa (MPA '56)
- Ponatshego Kedikilwe, Vice President, Republic of Botswana (MPA '72)
- Stephanie Miner, Mayor, Syracuse, NY (BA '92)
- Mohammad Al Murr, Speaker, UAE Federal National Council (BA '78)
- Bismark Myrick, former Ambassador to Liberia (MA '73)
- Masahide Ota, Governor, Okinawa Prefecture (MA '56)
- Matt Rhoades, American political consultant and strategist for the Republican National Committee (MPA '00)
- Steve Rothman, member, US House of Representatives (BA '74)
- Arun Shourie, Indian politician and civil servant (PhD '66 & MA '65)
- Christine Varney, former Antitrust Officer Department of Justice (MPA '78)
- John P. White, Former Deputy Secretary, U.S. Department of Defense (PhD '69 & MPA '64)
- Matthew Zeller, the 2010 Democratic Nominee for the United States House of Representatives in New Yorks's 29th district (MPA '06 & MA '06)
- Walter Broadnax, Former President, Clark Atlanta University (PhD '75)
- Kent John Chabotar, President, Guilford College (MPA '69 & PhD '73)
- Michael Crow, President, Arizona State University (PhD '85)
- William M. LeoGrande, Former Dean, American University School of International Service (BA '71 & MA '73)
- Joseph Rallo, Former President, Angelo State University and Vice Chancellor, Texas Tech University (MA '78 & PhD '80)
- Kenneth P. Ruscio, President, Washington and Lee University (MPA '78 & PhD '83)
- Donna Shalala, President, University of Miami (Former Secretary of Health and Human Services) (MPA '70 &PhD '70)
- Mitchel B. Wallerstein, President, Baruch College (formally 8th Dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs) (MPA '72)
- James F. Rinehart, Dean, Troy State University College of Arts and Sciences (M.S. '91)
- Al-Waleed bin Talal, founder and CEO of Kingdom Holding Company, member of the Saudi Royal Family (MSSc '85)
- Peter Falk, Oscar and Emmy Award-winning actor best known for his role as "Columbo" (MPA '53)
- Sean O'Keefe, CEO, EADS North America (former Administrator of NASA and former Chancellor, Louisiana State University) (MPA '79)
- Maxwell School of Syracuse University
- Maxwell School of Syracuse University
- Democracy and public administration By Richard C. Box
- Minnowbrook III: What Was Missing?
- Eggers Hall / Maxwell Expansion
- Maxwell School Again Named #1 Graduate School of Public Affairs by U.S. News & World Report
- International Relations Program Ranking
- Public Diplomacy home
- Documentary Film and History Masters Program
- IIMB Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy & Management