|IATA: BZV – ICAO: FCBB
|Airport type||Joint (Civil and Military)|
|Location||Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo|
|Hub for||Equatorial Congo Airlines|
|Elevation AMSL||1,048 ft / 319 m|
|05R/23L (used only as taxiway, no takeoffs or landings)||10,827||3,300||Asphalt|
In 2004, the airport served 447,699 passengers. In 2010, a new runway 3300m long (05L/23R) and a new terminal, with 3 air bridges was opened. The older runway (05R/23L) was repaired and now is used as a taxiway. A second module for the new terminal was completed in 2013. Chinese construction firm Weihai International Economic & Technical Cooperative Co., Ltd. performed the $160 million in upgrades to the airport.
Airlines and destinations
|Avient Aviation||Liège |
|Ethiopian Airlines Cargo||Addis Ababa |
Accidents and incidents
- On 19 September 1989 UTA flight 772, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 (registration N54629) operating the Brazzaville-N'Djamena-Paris CDG sector, was bombed 46 minutes after take-off from N'Djamena causing the aircraft to crash while flying over Niger. All 156 passengers and 14 crew members on board perished. For nearly 20 years, this incident marked the deadliest air disaster involving a French-operated airliner, in terms of loss of life. As of June 2009, it ranks as the second-deadliest (see Air France flight 447).
- 23 November 1996: Hijackers forced Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961, bound from Mumbai and Addis Ababa to Abidjan through many stops (including Brazzaville), to crash into the Indian Ocean.
- On 26 August 2009, an Antonov An-12 of Aero-Fret (registered TN-AIA) crashed on approach. The flight had originated from Pointe Noire Airport. The five Ukrainian crew and one Congolese passenger were killed.
- On 30 November 2012, an Aéro-Service (initially mistakenly attributed to Trans Air Congo) Ilyushin Il-76T on a cargo flight from Pointe Noire to Brazzaville crashed during landing short of runway 5L at Maya-Maya Airport in Brazzaville in bad weather, in a residential area. All six crew members, five of them from Armenia, one police officer on board the aircraft, and 26 people on the ground were killed, and 14 people on the ground were injured.
- "Second module at Brazzaville Maya-Maya International set to become operational". Africa Aviation Tribune. August 27, 2013.
- Westair Benin destinations list for Winter 2012/2013
- Avient Aviation Schedule from LGG
- Ethiopian Airlines Cargo Schedule
- UTA 772: The forgotten flight
- McDonnell Douglas DC-10-30 N54629
- "Crash: Aero-Fret AN12 at Nganga Lingolo on Aug 26th 2009, impacted ground in a cemetery". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 26 August 2009.
- "Cargo plane crashes into houses in Congo-Brazzaville, killing 32". BNO News. 1 December 2012. Retrieved 2 December 2012.
- Simon Hradecky (December 2, 2012). "Crash: Aero Services IL76 at Brazzaville on Nov 30th 2012, impacted buildings short of runway". Aviation Herald. Retrieved December 3, 2012.