Yoshida playing for Japan at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup open match Brazil in 2013
|Full name||Maya Yoshida|
|Date of birth||24 August 1988|
|Place of birth||Nagasaki, Nagasaki, Japan|
|Height||1.89 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 7 2015.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Nagasaki, Japan, Yoshida had been a defensive midfielder when playing for Grampus's youth team, but was converted to a centre back after promotion to its top team in 2007. In the 2008 season, he was in the starting lineup for most of the league matches with his Serbian teammate Miloš Bajalica. He scored Nagoya Grampus's historical first goal in the AFC Champions League in the game against Ulsan Hyundai Horang-i on 10 March 2009.
In December 2009, it was announced that he had transferred to Dutch club VVV-Venlo. He scored a bicycle kick goal for VVV-Venlo off a corner kick on 11 September 2011 against PSV Eindhoven. The match ended in a 3–3 draw. This goal was awarded as "Goal of the Season 2011–2012" of the Eredivisie. In this season Maya Yoshida scored as a central defender 5 goals in total.
On 30 August 2012, he agreed to join Southampton on a three-year contract for a fee thought to be in the region of £3 million. He made his debut for the Saints on 15 September 2012, against Arsenal in a 6–1 defeat, coming on as a 28th minute substitute for Jos Hooiveld. He then made his home debut a week later on 22 September 2012 in a 4–1 win over Aston Villa, playing the whole 90 minutes.
He scored his first goal for Southampton in a 2–1 defeat to Sunderland in the League Cup on 6 November 2013. He scored his first Premier League goal in a 3–1 defeat at West Ham United on 22 February 2014 after a Steven Davis free kick.
In January 2015 Southampton announced that Yoshida and the club had agreed terms to an extension of his contract until 2018.
He made his full international debut for Japan on 6 January 2010 in a 2011 AFC Asian Cup qualifier against Yemen. Yoshida subsequently played in all three of the group-stage matches, the quarter final and final for the winning Japan side in 2011 AFC Asian Cup.
Yoshida was named as captain for the Japanese National Team at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. He also participated in Japan's 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign and participated in all of Japan's group stage games at the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.
|1.||9 January 2011||Suheim Bin Hamad Stadium, Doha||Jordan||1–1||1–1||2011 AFC Asian Cup|
|2.||2 September 2011||Saitama Stadium 2002, Saitama||North Korea||1–0||1–0||2014 FIFA World Cup qualification|
|3.||14 November 2014||Toyota Stadium, Toyota||Honduras||1–0||6–0||Friendly Match|
|4.||12 January 2015||Newcastle Stadium, Newcastle||Palestine||4–0||4–0||2015 AFC Asian Cup|
3Includes AFC Champions League.
4Includes Eredivisie Playoffs.
- "Premier League Clubs submit Squad Lists" (PDF). Premier League. 3 September 2014. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Maya Yoshida". fifa.com. FIFA. Retrieved 15 January 2014.
- "Maya Yoshida profile". Southampton FC. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- Nagoya's Yoshida to join Venlo, wsn.com, 28 December 2009
- "Japan's Yoshida Set For Saints". Southampton FC. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- "Southampton sign Maya Yoshida, Japan's Olympic captain". BBC Sport. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 1 September 2012.
- "Saints agree partnership with EA SPORTS". Southampton FC. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Sunderland 2 – 1 Southampton". BBC Sport. 6 November 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2013.
- Hassan, Nabil (22 February 2014). "West Ham 3 – 1 Southampton". BBC Sport. Retrieved 21 March 2014.
- Cryer, Andy (20 December 2014). "Southampton 3 – 0 Everton". BBC Sport. Retrieved 31 December 2014.
- Lucas, Jim. "Yoshida extends Saints deal until 2018". Southampton FC. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Maya Yoshida Biography and Statistics". Sports Reference. Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- "Japan 4 Palestine 0". www.the-afc.com. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Maya Yoshida profile at Soccerway
- Maya Yoshida : Record worldfootball.net
- Japan – Maya Yoshida – Profile: Soccerway
- Maya Yoshida career statistics at Soccerbase
- Maya Yoshida – FIFA competition record
- Maya Yoshida at National-Football-Teams.com
- Maya Yoshida at Nagoya Grampus official site (2009) (Japanese)