|Directed by||Jose Thomas|
|Produced by||Madhu Warrier
Siby K. Thomas
|Music by||Berny-Ignatius (Songs)
Sarath Vayalar (Songs lyrics)
Bijibal (Background Score)
|Edited by||Lijo Paul|
|Distributed by||Manjunatha Release & PJ Entertainments Europe|
|Running time||145 minutes|
|Box office||22.6 crore (US$3.8 million)|
Mayamohini (Malayalam: മായാമോഹിനി) is a 2012 Malayalam comedy film directed by Jose Thomas and written by Udayakrishna and Siby K. Thomas, starring Dileep, Biju Menon, Lakshmi Rai, Baburaj, Mythili and Spadikam George in the lead roles. The film is remade in Kannada as Jai Lalitha starring Sharan.
The film starts with a plane accident in which a small child narrowly escapes. He is then looked after by his maternal uncle (Vijayaraghavan), and all the family's wealth will be inherited to him. As per their astrologer, in the future he should marriage a girl whose star is Chothi Nakshatra, only then will he prosper in life. The boy grows up to be a young man Balakrishnan (Biju Menon), who is unsuccessful in anything he does.
He falls in love with Maya (Lakshmi Rai), the daughter of a wealthy businessman named Patella, who is settled in Mumbai. When Patella gets to know about their relation, he objects and Maya elopes with Balakrishnan and gets married. In the meantime Lakshminarayanan alias Lakshmi (Baburaj), a friend of Balakrishnan tries to convince Balakrishnan's uncle about the marriage and the uncle agrees to visit the couple. But then, on the second day of the marriage Maya leaves him and returns to Mumbai.
Balakrishnan did not want his uncle to know that his wife left him, so he hires a girl Mayamohini (Dileep) to act as his wife. The story continues with many twists and later it is revealed that Mayamohini is actually a man named Mohanakrishnan, who the Kerala Police had been searching for so long. He had been put into a trap by Patella and his men, who killed Mohan's father to get hold of their property. Balakrishnan agrees to help him in his quest. They travel to Mumbai and there they meet Maya who was working as a club dancer and she agrees to help them. She tells all truth about Pattela. Pattela is opening a new business in town and on the inauguration day has arranged some dance as well. Mohan gets dressed up as Mayamohini again. Pattela invites her to his room and tries to have sex with her. In the meantime, the cops also arrive there to arrest Mohan. Pattela dies in the shootout that follows and later Mohan is released of his charges.
Later, Lakshmi's family comes for an alliance with Mayamohini, not knowing the truth. His sister was also with him and her star is revealed to be Chothi much to the delight of Balakrishnan.
- Dileep as Mayamohini/Mohan
- Biju Menon as Balakrishnan
- Mythili as Sangeetha
- Lakshmi Rai as Maya aka Kathreena
- Mohan Sharma as Raj Kumar Pattala
- Baburaj as Advocate Lakshmi Narayanan
- Spadikam George as SP Raghavan aka "Tiger" Raghavan
- Madhu Warrier as ASP Anwar
- Abu Salim
- Vijayaraghavan as Appukuttan Nair
- Kochu Preman as "Make up Man" Pappan Parapokkara
- Aju Varghese as Keezh Shanthi Vishnu (Special Appearance)
- Kalabhavan Shajon as "Production Manager" Shishubalan
- Sadiq as Koshi
- Nedumudi Venu as Mohan's father
- Ponnamma Babu as doctor
- Ambika Mohan as Saswathi Antharjanam (Mohan's mother)
The movie received mixed reviews.
- Metro Matinee rated the film as Entertaining and said "Mayamohini certainly follows the same old formula, but even then it is a fairly enjoyable ride."
- Sify rated the film as a Comedy Caper and said "With a briskly paced first half and a more serious second half, Mayamohini still turn out to be a nice option, for the summer holidays."
- TheaterBalcony rated the film as 3/5 and also said that "A movie only to laugh, without thinking much about story and other stuffs, and definitely this will end up as one of the good comedy movie in the recent times."
- Ultimately, it became the highest grossing Malayalam film of 2012 and ran for more than 175 days in major release centers.
- In The UK the film had successfully completed 85 days
|2nd South Indian International Movie Awards||Best Comedian||Baburaj||Nominated|
- "MAYAMOHINI". Oneindia.
- "Top 10 Malayalam Movies 2012". malludeals.com. 2012-12-24. Retrieved 2013-01-04.
- "Mayamohini Index". Nowrunning.com. 2011-07-11. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Mayamohini Malayalam Movie". Metromatinee.
- "I'm Mayamohini: Dileep". Times of India. 2011-12-14. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Mayamohini Review Metro Matinee". metromatinee.com.
- "Mayamohini Review Sify". sify.com.
- "Mayamohini Review". Theaterbalcony.com.
- Top 10 grossing malayalam films