The adjective Mayan is sometimes popularly used to refer to the indigenous peoples of southeastern Mexico and parts of Central America, including their culture, language, and history. In academic publications the use of "Mayan" is restricted to referring to their languages; "Maya" is the adjectival form preferred when referring to non-linguistic aspects. A "Mayanist" is a scholar who specializes in Maya civilization.
Mayan may also refer to:
- Maya peoples - collective designation for the various indigenous peoples of the region, sharing cultural and linguistic heritage
- Maya civilization - dealing with the historical pre-Columbian Maya civilization, culture, history and archaeology
- List of Mayan languages
- Maya architecture
- Maya religion - the religious practices of the Maya civilization
- Maya mythology - the myths and legends of the Maya civilization
- Maya society - social constructs and practices of the Maya civilization
- Mayan languages - a language family of related languages traditionally spoken by the Maya peoples
- Yucatec Maya language - a specific Mayan language, often referred to simply as 'Mayan' (or Maya)
- Maya script - the writing system in use by the pre-Columbian Maya civilization
- Maya calendar - the calendar used by the Mayan civilization
- Mayan Renaissance documentary 2012
Places in Iran
Mayan (Persian: مايان) is a Persian toponym, and may refer to:
- Mayan-e Olya, East Azerbaijan - village in East Azerbaijan Province, Iran
- Mayan-e Sofla, East Azerbaijan - village in East Azerbaijan Province, Iran
- Mayan, Qazvin - village in Qazvin Province, Iran
- Mayan-e Olya, Razavi Khorasan - village in Razavi Khorasan Province, Iran
- Mayan-e Sofla, Razavi Khorasan - village in Razavi Khorasan Province, Iran
- Mayan-e Vosta - village in Razavi Khorasan Province, Iran
- Mayan, Semnan - village in Semnan Province, Iran
- Maayan - an Israeli poems and art magazine.
- Maians – a fictional alien race in the video game, Perfect Dark
- Mamuni Mayan - Dravidian culture hero
- Mayan stage - a Cambrian Faunal stage that occurred during the end of the Middle Cambrian
- Mayans, a fictional biker gang in the TV series Sons of Anarchy
- MaYaN (band), a Dutch symphonic metal band
- Maya (illusion), concept in Indian religions of illusion accepted as the daily reality of the unenlightened
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.