|Headquarters||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Focus||Advance Human Welfare|
|Method||Donations, Private and Corporate Funding, Mentoring|
The Wilhelm and Karl Maybach Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that seeks to improve the world through mentoring, by fostering and overseeing mentorships. The organization links mentors with protégés worldwide, and fosters and oversees those relationships. Specifically, the Foundation focuses on “a select few protégés from across the globe who face adversity in realizing their true potential", providing them with "leaders in their discipline, meaningful stipends, leadership training, and exclusive introductions to the very decision-makers who can open doors for them worldwide.”
The Foundation has garnered famous supporters, many of whom credit mentoring with making a difference in their lives, including Kirk Douglas, Dennis Hopper, Paolo Coelho, Quincy Jones, and LeRoy Neiman.
The Maybach Foundation receives funding from multiple sources, including the Maybach Family. The Foundation seeks most of its funding from donors and corporate partnerships from around the globe, including Daimler AG, the Maybach brand, and Silverstein Properties.
In honor of his great-grandfather and grandfather, Maybach heir Ulrich Schmid-Maybach formed the Wilhelm and Karl Maybach Foundation. Wilhelm Maybach, an orphan, was mentored by Gottlieb Daimler, a design teacher who saw talent in Maybach. That mentor/protégé pair went on to become two of the greatest names in automotive history. Later, Wilhelm working with his son Karl, would similarly make history with their design, invention and engineering achievements.
Current projects 
The Foundation marks each mentorship with a specific project that falls within a sector of interest. The four general sectors of interest for the Foundation are science and research; art, design and architecture; community and ethics; and business and technology.
World Trade Center Documentary Arts Project 
Photographers document the rebuilding of the World Trade Center. Sector: art (photography) Protégés: Marika Asatiani, Tbilisi, Georgia; Benjamin Jarosch, Chicago, Illinois; Vicky Roy, India; Nicole Tung, Hong Kong Mentor: Joe Woolhead
Post-Apartheid Role Model Project 
A talented individual from an adverse background is given training in his field, as well as training in leadership skills. Sector: Community and Ethics Protégé: Sbu Duma of South Africa Mentors: Various renowned polo players from around the globe.
Africa Health Sciences Pilot Project 
Doctors in Africa are given training and education, as well as competitive salaries, to encourage them to stay in Uganda fighting AIDS. Sector: Science and Research. Protégé: Dr. Muzoora Conrad of South Africa. Mentor: Dr. David Bangsberg, who also serves on Accordia Global Health Foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board.
- Jolene Libretto; Rob Tanenbaum. Ulrich Schmid-Maybach, Founder and President of The Wilhelm and Karl Maybach Foundation, Rings the NASDAQ Opening Bell. Nasdaq. 2009-01-03. URL:http://www.nasdaq.com/reference/200809/market_open_091008.stm. Accessed: 2009-01-03. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dYnIL9xw)
- Sheila McDermott. Neimanland. Knoedler Publishing. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.leroyneiman.com/about.ihtml?about=neimanland5. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daI9iL3O)
- Dennis Hopper from Crash - at Film.com. Film.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.film.com/celebrities/dennis-hopper/14644606. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daLYcSee)
- Danielle Berrin. The Quotable Kirk Douglas. Calendar Girls. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.jewishjournal.com/thecalendargirls/item/the_quotable_kirk_douglas/. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dafJ77da)
- Jim Spellman. HQ Kirk Douglas Pictures: United Nations Global Youth Leadership Gala Dinner. celebritywonder.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Kirk_Douglas/KirkDouglas_Spellman_11150160.html. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dafovnCX)
- John Shearer/WireImage.com. 2008 Cannes Film Festival - Maybach Family Foundation Luncheon Pictures. AskMen.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.askmen.com/galleries/2008-cannes-film-festival-maybach-family-foundation-luncheon/picture-29.html. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dagiyjVa)
- Delrue-McGuire, Nathalie. Maybach: Beyond the Luxury Car - A Legacy of Mentoring. theposhreport.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.theposhreport.com/2008/07/19/theluxurycar-maybach/. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daka3FPt)
- John Shearer. 2008 Cannes Film Festival - Maybach Family Foundation Luncheon. wireimage.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=GLS====318949&evntI=2883&c4nvi=3&str=65504&styp=clbi&nbc1=1. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dah6ZJF8)
- urbiz.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.tpurbizdigital.com/urbiz/2008/?pg=15. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dai0Xest)
- Rob Rich. Wilhelm & Karl Maybach Foundation host private reception to Celebrate a new generation of young artists and the rebirth of the World Trade Center @ 7 World Trade Center on 9-8-08. robrich.smugmug.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://robrich.smugmug.com/gallery/5933655_GYSvY/6. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daIYj8Ds)
- World Trade Center and Maybach Foundation Documentary Arts Project Reception LeRoy Neiman at the World Trade Center and Maybach Foundation Documentary Arts Project Reception at New York NY. Getty Images. 2009-01-04. URL:http://gettyimages.ge/detail/82858946/WireImage-Video. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daKmQhOM)
- Ryono, Debra. The Maybach Hybrid. worth.com. 2009-01-04. URL:http://www.worth.com/Editorial/Thought-Leaders/Profiles/Profile-Maybach-April-May08.asp. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daklZV1p)
- Guha, Pallavi. City lensman on WTC mission. The Times of India. 2009-01-05. URL:http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Kolkata_/City_lensman_on_WTC_mission/articleshow/3806055.cms. Accessed: 2009-01-05. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5dalGafeH)
- Cole, Patrick. Luxury Car Heir Finds Meaning Mentoring Artists at Ground Zero. Bloomberg. 2009-01-05. URL:http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601121&sid=a2CfnxzkqNJs&refer=muse. Accessed: 2009-01-05. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5damTUVHi)
- SBU DUMA ACCEPTED TO MAYBACH FOUNDATION. SA Polo. 2009-01-05. URL:http://www.sapolo.org.za/developmentpolo.asp. Accessed: 2009-01-05. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5danaWXqq)
- Sbu Duma's official website: http://www.sbu-duma.de/?page_id=2&lang=en
- Osborne, Gary. Maybach Foundation. exposureroom.com. 2009-01-05. URL:http://exposureroom.com/members/GaryOsborne.aspx/assets/27803d4172af4fd48f2f7a306168e393/. Accessed: 2009-01-05. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5danqei5b)
- Courtney Pulitzer. Courtney Pulitzer Creations. URL:http://www.thecyberscene.com/2007/05/uli-schmid-maybach-maybach-foundation.html. Accessed: 2009-01-04. (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5daCmlToN)
- Garcia, Michelle. Maybach foundation reaches out to Uganda’s AIDS effort. advocate.com. 2009-01-05. URL:http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid45392.asp. Accessed: 2009-01-05.
- Accordia Global Health Foundation