Cover of the first issue
|Publication date||October 2009|
|Number of issues||3|
Tyrese Gibson's Mayhem! is an American three-issue mini-series by Tyrese Gibson, Mike Le, Will Wilson, and Tone Rodriguez. The series was published through Image Comics and the first issue released on August 5th, 2009. Of the series, Gibson stated that he was inspired to create the series after being a guest at a 2009 Comic-Con.
The series follows Dante, a masked vigilante whose dark and mysterious past compels him to take back the city of Los Angeles from the criminal underworld. He is helped in this task by his assistant Malice as they go up against the crime lord Big X.
Gibson's marketing for the series was criticized by its then marketing director Percy Carey, over the usage of social media to promote the comic. Carey resigned as the comic's marketing director over what he saw as "snake-oil tactics", as well as tweets concerning Brian Hibbs. Hibbs, a staff writer for Comic Book Resources, was harassed by fans after posting several comments in a ComicsBeat post where he questioned the likelihood of the comic selling more than a few issues at any given comic book store. Gibson had requested that fans demand that retailers order 400 copies and later asked his fans to call Hibbs and demand that he order the book for them. Hibbs commented that while he did sell multiple copies of the comic, he viewed the tactic as "shotgun marketing" that would not establish future sales for either the store nor the Mayhem! series.
- Wigler, Josh (July 2, 2009). "Prepare for "Mayhem!"". Comic Book Resources. Retrieved 2009-07-19.
- "Tyrese Gibson delivers Mayhem". Crave Online. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Actor Tyrese Gibson introduces his super hero, Mayhem, to comic fans". NY Daily News. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Singer-actor Tyrese invents comic book superhero". CNN. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "'Transformers' Star Tyrese Gibson Talks 'Mayhem' Comic, 'Luke Cage' Movie And... 'Captain America'?". MTV. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Percy Carey: Tyrese Gibson Causes Comic Book MAYHEM!". Complex. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Tyrese Gibson's Mayhem #1 Review". IGN. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "PERCY CAREY RESIGNS FROM TYRESE GIBSON'S “MAYHEM!”". CBR. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "MAY….HEM? MAYHEM’S MARKETING GUY QUITS ADMIDST CONTROVERSY". iFanboy. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "Let's all market with Tyrese Gibson's MAYHEM". ComicsBeat. Retrieved 16 April 2013.
- "TILTING AT WINDMILLS". CBR. Retrieved 16 April 2013.