Mayhem of the Music Meister!
|"Mayhem of the Music Meister!"|
|Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode|
The villainous Music Meister
|Episode no.||Season 1
|Directed by||Ben Jones|
|Written by||Michael Jelenic|
|Original air date||October 23, 2009|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|List of Batman: The Brave and the Bold episodes|
"Mayhem of the Music Meister!" is an episode of the Batman: The Brave and the Bold animated series. The episode features the villainous Music Meister, who uses his power to control people through song to try to take over the world. Written by Mike Jelenic and directed by Ben Jones, the episode premiered on October 23, 2009, the 25th of the first season.
The musical episode, which has been compared to Buffy the Vampire Slayer's "Once More, with Feeling", was generally critically acclaimed and well received by viewers. Unlike other episodes of in this series, this episode does not feature a cold open or teaser at the start.
The Music Meister uses his powers to control people through music to induce Black Canary, Green Arrow, Aquaman, Black Manta, Gorilla Grodd and Clock King to hijack a United Nations' communications satellite, launching it into space after they install a device for him. When Batman intervenes, he orders them to attack the hero, which they do in a dance style reminiscent of West Side Story. His plan successful, the Meister frustrates Batman once more, escaping by forcing his captives to dance towards the rocket blast, making the hero rescue them rather than apprehend the villain. Meister escapes to an empty opera house where, in a parody of Phantom of the Opera, he plays the organ to a cardboard audience. Batman tries to capture him on a cross-town chase while he sings "Drives us Bats", eventually releasing prison inmates (including villains seen from past episodes) to attack the heroes. Having heard Black Canary sing, the Meister has fallen for her, but not enough to give up villainy, and she rejects him. Meister manages to capture Black Canary and Batman and puts them in a death trap. They escape as Music Meister hypnotizes the world with his music (with help of the satellite). When Black Canary becomes his slave, Batman induces Black Canary to sing as high as he, using the satellite to transmit her sonic scream to break Music Meister's mind control. Batman finally gets his hands on the Meister, defeating him with a single punch to the jaw.
"Mayhem of the Music Meister!" screened June 24, 2009 at Comic-Con, where supervising producer James Tucker noted that he believed that the show would be successful after seeing people wearing Music Meister costumes after the episode's debut. The episode received a standing ovation at its debut, in part because of the humor of the Maestro's dance-inducing powers on the heroes and villains.
The episode was nominated for an Emmy Award and has been called one of television's best musicals. The episode has been used as an example of the merits of Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
- "Neil Patrick Harris is the Music Meister!". Animated Superheroes. 2009-06-23. Retrieved 2010-12-30.
- "Advance Review! Neil Patrick Harris in Musical Episode of Batman". Small Screen Scoop. 2009-10-16. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Warner Brothers Announces Comic Con Panels « : EveryJoe - Sports and Entertainment News". EveryJoe. 2009-06-26. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Chubb, Tina (2009-07-21). "Comic-Con 2009: Batman Musical to Premiere « In Entertainment". Inentertainment.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Propst, Andy (2009-07-20). "Neil Patrick Harris to Voice Villain in Batman Television Cartoon Musical: Theater News on TheaterMania.com - 07/20/2009". Theatermania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Neil Patrick Harris Sings in Musical Episode of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold"". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Burlingame, Jon (2009-07-24). "COMIC-CON 2009; Adventures of the Caped Crooner; The first-ever Batman musical, 'Mayhem of the Music Meister!' will debut today". Pqasb.pqarchiver.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Thursday, June 18, 2009, 4:26pm EDT (2009-06-18). "Harris cast as singing Batman villain - TV News". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Bentley, Rick (2010-11-08). "The Dark Knight lightens up - Sacramento Politics - California Politics | Sacramento Bee". Sacbee.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "SDCC 09: Batman Brave and the Bold Panel". Newsarama.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "The Remaining Season 1 Episodes of "Batman: The Brave and the Bold" Coming to DVD- Animation News Discussion Cartoon Community - toonzone news". Toonzone.net. 2011-03-15. Archived from the original on 2012-09-13. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "Batman: The Brave and the Bold". Inlander.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Thill, Scott (2009-12-14). "Ranking DC Comics’ 2009 DVDs, From Great to Ghastly | Underwire". Wired.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- Propst, Andy (2009-10-21). "Neil Patrick Harris Featured on Soundtrack for Batman Animated Series: Theater News on TheaterMania.com - 10/21/2009". Theatermania.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.
- "ON THE RECORD: Lesser-Known Guettel and LaChiusa in "A Shining Truth," Plus Neil Patrick Harris in "Batman"". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2011-06-06.