Maynard Evans High School
|Maynard Evans High School|
|Motto||"A Place of High Achievement!"|
|Location||4949 Silver Star Road,
Orlando, Florida, United States
|Colors||Green and White|
Maynard Evans High School is a high school located in Orlando, Florida, United States, served by Orange County Public Schools. The school's name is often shortened to "Evans High School", and the mascot for the school are the Trojans.
It primarily serves students from Pine Hills in addition to some students from nearby Clarcona and Lockhart. The original main campus is located on Silver Star Road at the intersection of Pine Hills Road. Starting in 2010, the entire school was demolished and completely rebuilt; with construction completed in December, 2011. The new campus reopened in 2012.
Evans High's academic performance, based upon results of the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT), was consistently rated at a "D" or "F". However, the school improved in 2011 by earning a "C" for the first time in the school's history.
As of the 2012-2013 school year, Evans received its first "B" in the school's history.
The 9th Grade Center served as the main campus during construction, and the new campus was opened for classes on January 3, 2012.
Plans to build a new high school in Pine Hills began in the early 1950s. Until then, students in Pine Hills were bussed to Edgewater High School, Apopka High School and, to a lesser extent, Winter Park High School. Evans High opened in 1958 with grades 7, 8 and 9 and was officially named "Maynard Evans High School". It was named in honor of a local pharmacist, Maynard Evans, who owned a pharmacy and soda shop in downtown Orlando named "Evans Pharmacy". The following year, grades 10, 11 and 12 were added. The first graduating class was the Class of 1960.
In the 1980s up until the mid-1990s, Evans High was one of the largest schools in Orange County. The student population peaked at 4,500 and in 1993 the 9th Grade Center opened 3 miles (4.8 km) to the west of the main campus.
By 2005, declining conditions on the main campus proved detrimental to the students' education. The Orange County school board planned to build a new $37 million school on board owned land adjacent to the 9th Grade Center Campus. This plan was met with fierce opposition by the mayor of Ocoee and nearby residents; prompting the Orange County Board of County Commissioners to reject the school board's plan in 2008. The school board thus decided to build a new school on the main campus at a cost of $75 million. The 9th Grade Center served as the main campus during construction and the new campus was opened for classes on January 3, 2012. The 9th Grade center is supposedly is being used as "Trojan academy".
Evans High's current rival is Jones High School. Football games between the schools are called "The Soul Bowl".
The Evans High School basketball team were the 1975 Class 5A State Champions in 1975.
Evans High School's football team were the 1991 Class 5A State Champions.
Evans High also features baseball, basketball, volleyball, tennis, track, and swim teams.
The Green Machine
Evans High School's marching band is called "The Green Machine", and their motto is "The Best Band in the Land". As of the 2009–2010 school year, The Green Machine is under the direction of Mr. Melvin Wright.
- Chucky Atkins, NBA basketball player
- Anthony Bernard, NFL Colts
- Horace Copeland, former NFL football player Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins and Oakland Raiders
- Darryl Dawkins, former NBA basketball player. First NBA draftee out of high school
- Jamie Dukes, former NFL football player Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, Arizona Cardinals
- Kenard Lang, NFL Denver Broncos
- Tony McCoy, NFL Colts
- Dimitri Patterson, NFL Washington Redskins, Minnesota Vikings, Kansas City Chiefs, Philadelphia Eagles
- Leon Searcy, NFL football player
- Derrick Sharp, American-Israeli professional basketball player
- Brandon Siler, NFL Football player
- Jeff Zimmerman, former NFL football player – Dallas Cowboys
- Brian McKnight, multi-platinum selling singer, producer
- "Orlando Sentinel – School Grades: Record number earn A’s and B’s, but high schools lag @ Jay Wheeler". Jaywheelerosceola.com. June 19, 2009. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "Orange County school superintendent: Rebuild Evans High on current campus". orlandosentinel.com. February 3, 2009. Retrieved September 29, 2011.
- "MEHS "Green Machine" Band". Greenmachineband.tripod.com. Retrieved September 29, 2011.