Maynard Eziashi (born 1965 in London, England) is a British/Nigerian actor. In 1991, he won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 41st Berlin International Film Festival for his starring role in Mister Johnson (1990).
Eziashi was born in London, England.
Eziashi has been in the international movie business since 1986. In 1991, he won the Silver Bear for Best Actor at the 41st Berlin International Film Festival for his starring role in Mister Johnson (1990) which also starred Pierce Brosnan.
Eziashi has also starred in Twenty-One (1991), Bopha! (1993) with Danny Glover, A Good Man in Africa (1994) with Sean Connery, Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995) and The Contract (2006) with Morgan Freeman.
"It was pleasurable working with them. Some of them have become good friends and I am still in contact with them till this day," Eziashi says on the number of Hollywood top stars he has worked with.
On January 22, 2012, it was reported that Eziashi took part in a film titled, Streets of Calabar. The film also starred Wale Ojo, Anthony Ofoegbu, Lisa Kill and Viquie Christie; the film has been shot on location in Calabar, Cross River State. Eziashi stated that he was portraying, "Chief Detective Okoro." According to Eziashi, Streets of Calabar is the second movie he has done in Nigeria, the first being Mister Johnson which was shot in Jos. "This job am doing now is a fantastic experience for me. Being in Calabar alone has been a pleasurable experience. I have not been in the city before. Everyday am discovering something new," Eziashi says of his experience with the project.
From November 6 to December 1, 2013, Eziashi participated in the performance of Paul Herzberg's play, The Dead Wait at The Park Theatre in Finsbury Park, where he was portraying the role of George. Eziashi has compared his acting experiences on the production with his past experiences on Bopha! since both stories are set in South Africa. Herzberg also acted in the production, and Eziashi described him as " a very generous man."
On Nollywood, Eziashi states, "I will say the Nigerian movie industry is doing very well. When we compare the industries we have to take out the advantage of time Hollywood has over Nollywood. If we compare the first 10-20 years of Hollywood with that of Nollywood you would realize Nollywood is doing fabulously well."
- Mister Johnson (1990)
- Twenty-One (1991)
- Bopha! (1993)
- A Good Man in Africa (1994)
- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995)
- Janice Beard (1999)
- When Brendan Met Trudy (2001)
- Kiss Kiss (Bang Bang) (2001)
- Colour Me Kubrick (2005)
- The Contract (2006)
- Maynard Eziashi biography at The New York Times
- Onikoyi, Ayo (22 January 2012). "Nollywood is doing fabulously well, says Nigerian Hollywood star". Vanguard. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Berlinale: 1991 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-03-26.
- Shipp, Emily (November 4, 2013). "INTERVIEW: ACTOR MAYNARD EZIASHI ON HUMAN BONDS AND CORE STRENGTH IN THE DEAD WAIT.". Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Hickman, Leo (15 September 2009). "Will the Brixton pound buy a brighter future?". The Guardian. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Hickman, Leo (16 September 2009). "Will The Brixton Pound Buy A Brighter Future?". Worldchanging. Retrieved 25 February 2015.