|Full name||Mayookha Johny Mathalikunnel|
9 April 1988 |
Kozhikode, Kerala, India
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||58 kg (128 lb) (2014)|
|Sport||Track and field athletics|
|Achievements and titles|
|Personal best(s)||Triple jump: 14.11 m
Long jump: 6.64 m
(New Delhi 2010)
|Updated on 9 August 2010.|
Mayookha Johny (born 9 April 1988) is an Indian track and field athlete from Kerala who specialises in long jump and triple jump. She holds the current Indian National record for triple jump with a mark of 14.11m. She is the first Indian woman to cross the 14m mark.
Performing for Kannur in the 50th Kerala State Athletic Championship at Thrissur, Mayookha won gold in long jump and triple jump (12.38 m) in under-20 category in 2006. In the triple jump event she beat the more experienced M.A. Prajusha and Tincy Mathew.
She finished seventh in the long jump at the 2010 Asian Games. Johny fared better at the 2011 National Games of India the following February, taking a long and triple jump double ahead of M. A. Prajusha. Triple Jumper Mayookha Johny has become the first Indian woman to breach the 14-metre mark as she won a bronze medal in the third and final leg of the Asian Athletics Grand Prix in Wujiang, China.
At the Daegu 2011 World Championships in Athletics she qualified for the finals in the women's long jump event, thereby becoming only the third Indian ever to qualify for the final of an individual event in World Championships in Athletics. She finished 9th with a best jump of 6.37 meters, far behind her qualifying round performance where she recorded 6.53 meters.
In the 2012 Asian games, held at Hangzhou, China, Mayookha tried for olympic games qualification jump, but had to settle in with 6.44m. She needed another 0.21m to jump in the Olympics.
On 22 July 2012, Mayookha Johny triple jumped 13.91m to win the top place in a low-level meet in Dillingen, Germany.
- "Prajusha jumps to national mark, agony for Mayookha". Yahoo! News. 9 October 2010. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- 2014 CWG profile
- "Mayookha breaches 14m barrier". The Hindu (India). 30 May 2011. Retrieved 30 May 2011.
- "iaaf.org – Athletes – Johny Mayookha Biography". Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "Mayookha, Tintu in the spotlight". Sportstar. 4 October 2008. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "Mayookha completes a fine double". Chennai, India: The Hindu. 23 October 2006. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- Krishnan, Ram. Murali (2011-02-22). Raut and Johny takes doubles at Indian National Games in Ranchi. IAAF. Retrieved on 22 February 2011.
- Mayookha finishes ninth
- 2011 World Championships in Athletics, Daegu. Women's Long jump results
- "Mayookha Johny to miss long jump". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 5 March 2012.
- "Mayookha jumps 13.91m". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 25 July 2012.