Mazo Beach is the only legal public nude beach in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. The beach along the Lower Wisconsin River located in the northwest corner of Dane County in the Town of Mazomanie has attracted people to its open and expansive shoreline for decades. Property along the river was acquired in parcels by the State of Wisconsin since the 1950s to provide a full range of nature based activities including hiking, wildlife viewing, hunting, fishing and wildlife habitat. It is located on the Wisconsin River between the Village of Mazomanie and Sauk City, Wisconsin. Nudity is allowed on the eastern side of the river because the state law does not criminalize public nudity on state lands and the Dane County District Attorney will not prosecute the cases. Seasonal changes shape the river, thereby altering the beach's size. This along with additional Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) changing land restrictions means the actual area to legally bath changes annually.
On a hot summer weekend, the beach may see hundreds of people. In the past, conservative groups have occasionally protested near the beach. Bills have been introduced at the Wisconsin legislature to make nudity illegal on any land managed by the state DNR, which would outlaw the beach, but so far these have not passed. In 2013, a bill did pass closing the beach on weekdays. The beach remains open on weekends from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m  from March 1 through Sept. 15.
- "State joins tug of warover nude beach". Worldnetdaily.com. 2013-01-04. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "DNR to close all of Mazomanie Beach on weekdays". DNR News. March 19, 2013. Retrieved July 2, 2013.
- The Milwaukee Journal/Sentinel. Oct 28, 1999 http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=S7sdAAAAIBAJ&sjid=dC8EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6816,3862483&dq=mazo+beach&hl=en
|url=missing title (help).
- "Closing... 60 acres of natural woodlands adjacent to the beach.". ABC News. 2012-04-20.
- Pilgrims Covenant Church - Mazo Beach
- "Mazomanie Beach Receives Unwanted National Attention". Nbc15.com. Retrieved 2013-01-10.
- "UPDATE: DNR Closes Mazomanie Beach on Weekdays To Crack Down on Illicit Behavior". WMTV. March 19, 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013.
|This article about a location in Dane County, Wisconsin is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|