|Member of the Storting for Oslo|
22 October 2013
5 March 1981 |
|Political party||Progress Party|
|Alma mater||BI Norwegian Business School|
|Profession||Public relations agent|
Early life and education
Born in Teheran, Iran. Mazyar Keshvari and his family left Iran in the aftermath of the Islamic Revolution because his family had ties to the Shah, and emigrated to Norway in 1986, eventually settling in Oslo. Upon finishing Ulsrud Upper Secondary school in 2001, he enrolled at the BI Norwegian Business School and graduated with a bachelor's degree in Information and Public Relations in 2005.
He joined the Youth of the Progress Party in 2001 and quickly became a rising star, first chairing the local Groruddalen chapter and later and chairing its Oslo chapter from 2004 to 2006; he is still a member of its Central committee. He has also been editor-in-chief of the political magazine Fri Kapitalisme.
Since 2005, Keshvari has been serving as a deputy representative from Oslo to the Parliament of Norway. He was re-elected to a second four-year term running to 2013. Apart from politics he sits on the board of directors at the Sunnaas Hospital, as well as being chairman of the official Constitution Day committee.
He has made his mark in the Norwegian public sphere as a staunch opponent of the Iranian theocracy, often condemning the regime in the media. In June 2009 he called for tough sanctions against Iran including a complete boycott of the regime. During the 2009 Iranian election protests he described the regime as not only a threat against the Iranian people, but the entire world at large. In response to the violent crackdown on the protesters he called the Iranian leadership a "terror-regime", and compared Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to comical Ali.
A fierce critic of the Red-green coalition's foreign policy on Iran, he states : The Norwegian government's failed policies are putting world peace in danger. By giving this islamo-fascist regime with nuclear ambitions resources and technology, they are sustaining and legitimizing its existence
He also fiercely opposed to female genital mutilation. Skeptical toward non-Western immigration into Norway, Keshvari has stated that immigrants who do not comply with "Norwegian values" should "beat it". He has repeatedly called for a complete ban on further immigration to Norway, stating that it is not sustainable in the long-term. Responding to government plans to open a centre for asylum-seekers on Andøya in 2008 he described the plans as "irresponsible" and "almost madness" and stated that immigration to Norway was "totally out of control".
Outspoken against what he perceives as progressive ethnic segregation of Oslo neighborhoods, Keshvari has repeatedly accused fellow politicians who reside in Oslo's largely homogeneous west-end of having "elitist-attitudes" when praising the situation. Especially he targeted the Conservative Party's Julie Brodtkorb who he believed had a "elitist-syndrome".
In response to public outcry over the establishment of roma tent encampments in the center of Oslo during the summer of 2012, Keshvari demanded their "immediate expulsion" along with the forced closure of such camps, while reiterating the need for a total ban on public begging, but at the same he warned politicians against inflaming already high anti-roma sentiment in the city.
He lives in the Oslo suburb of Ellingsrud. A lifelong aficionado of Persian culture and cuisine, his favourite food is Jujeh kabab. He is also a patron of fine arts including paintings, and especially the works of Edvard Munch, replicas of which adorned his former office at Oslo City Hall.
- Bjørnsrud, Kjetil. "Mazyar Keshvari". Retrieved 10.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Farell, Sabrina (2012). "Mazyar Keshvari - Født Politiker". Utrop.no.
- Thorenfeldt, Gunnar (24 July 2007). "- Etisk problematisk å slippe inn flere innvandrere". Dagbladet (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- Almendingen, Berit (14 May 2007). "Frp-regjeringen". Nettavisen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- Byrådet. "Ny byrådssekretær for helsetjenester". Byrådet.
- Youth of the Progress Party biography
- "Mazyar Keshvari" (in Norwegian). Stortinget.no.
- krane, Bernt. "Styret". Sunnaas Helseforetak.
- "Vil ha politi i barnetoget". Adressa.no. 2012.
- Andreassen, Thorleif (26 February 2008). "- Unge i Norge er lite opptatt av samfunnsdebatten". Aftenposten (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 2008-03-30. Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- Kristoffersen, Martin (2012). "Støre må våkne fra dialogdvalen". Vg.no. Retrieved 10.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Barstein, Geir (2009-06-14). "Akkurat nå blir demonstrantene torturert". Dagbladet.no.
- Bentsen, Asle. "Norsk Iraner: Ahmadinejad overgår komiske Ali". tv2. Retrieved 11.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Keshvari, Mazyar. "Boikott Iran før det er for sent". Vgb.no.
- Veiby, Gry Elisabeth (2007). "- Vi blir sviktet". Nettavisen.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- Lecomte, Bjørn (11 January 2008). "- Liker dere ikke Norge, så stikk". Nettavisen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2008-09-15.
- Waagbø, Arild (09.01.2008). "Oslo må få innvandringsstopp". Nettavisen.no. Retrieved 11.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Kjelstrup, Karl. "Ønsker Innvandringsstopp". Nab.no. Retrieved 11.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Gunnersen, Anja. "Det er galskap". tv2.no. Retrieved 11.01.2012. Check date values in:
- Gunnar, Thorenfeldt (2007-07-24). "Etisk problematisk å slippe inn flere innvandrere". Dagbladet.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2007-10-19.
- Slettholm, Andreas (2012-07-24). "Mener Brodtkorb har et "kaksesyndrom"". aften.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- Barth-Heyerdahl, Lars (11.07.2012). "Kast dem ut!". Tv2.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2012-07-15. Check date values in:
- Gabrielsen, Christofer Kjos (2012-07-17). "Faremo: Skremt av Frp-uttalelser". Tv2.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2012-07-25.
- Nordlie, Tuva (24 January 2013). "– Grotesk å ville skyte ulven". Nrk.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- Zaman, Kadafi (2012-08-29). "Carl I. Hagen kjemper for muslimers gravferd". tv2.no (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2012-08-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mazyar Keshvari.|