Near the grounds of Mbale Pentecostal Theological College
|• Mayor||Musa Mansa|
|Elevation||1,143 m (3,750 ft)|
|Population (2011 Est.)|
Mbale lies approximately 245 kilometres (152 mi), by road, northeast of Kampala, on an all weather tarmac highway. The coordinates of the city are: 01 04 50N, 34 10 30E. The city also lies on the railway from Tororo to Pakwach. Mount Elgon, one of the highest peaks in East Africa lies nearby.
Mbale is home to the Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU), as well as the Moses Synagogue around which most of the Abayudaya live. The population includes members of the Gisu ethnic group, mainly the Bamasaaba and Bagisu.
Mbale is known for its limited nightlife, and has a clock tower in the centre of town. An early scene in Casino Royale (2006) is set in Mbale district, but was not filmed there. James Bond (Daniel Craig) himself is not in the scene.
The 2002 national census put the population of Mbale at 71,130. In 2008, the Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS), estimated the population of the city at 84,100. In 2011, UBOS estimates the population of Mbale at about 91,800.
Mbale was formally linked with Pontypridd, Wales through local and regional twinning ceremonies in 2005. The link was intended to associate professionals and organizations in Pontypridd with their counterparts in Africa, under the auspices of charity PONT - the Partnerships Overseas Networking Trust.
Points of interest
The following points of interest lie within the city limits or close to its borders:
- The headquarters of Mbale District Administration
- The offices of Mbale City Council
- Mbale Central Market
- Mbale Municipal Stadium - Capacity: 25,000
- The headquarters of the 3rd Division of the Uganda People's Defense Force
- Mbale Regional Referral Hospital - A 400 bed public hospital administered by the Uganda Ministry of Health
- CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda - A 42 bed private neurosurgery hospital, owned and administered by CURE International
- Busitema University Medical School - The medical school of Busitema University, a public institution of higher education
- The main campus of the Islamic University in Uganda
- The Mbale Pentecostal Theological College (Pictured, right)
- The Mbale Campus of Busitema University - One of the public universities in Uganda.
- Mbale Campus of Uganda Martyrs University, a private university, whose headquarters are located in Nkozi, Mpigi District.
- Nabumali High School - The mixed, boarding secondary school, is located about 11 kilometres (6.8 mi), south of Mbale of the Mbale-Tororo Road
- LivingStone International University - a private university affiliated with the fellowship of Christian Churches and Churches of Christ.
- A branch of Bank of Africa
- A branch of Bank of Baroda
- A branch of Barclays Bank
- A branch of Centenary Bank
- A branch of Crane Bank
- A branch of DFCU Bank
- A branch of Equity Bank
- A branch of Finance Trust Bank
- A branch of Housing Finance Bank
- A branch of Kenya Commercial Bank
- A branch of Orient Bank
- A branch of PostBank Uganda
- A branch of Stanbic Bank
- A branch of Standard Chartered Bank
- A branch of United Bank for Africa
- A branch of Pride Microfinance Limited
- A branch of the National Social Security Fund
- Mbale Currency Center - A currency storage and processing facility owned and operated by the Bank of Uganda, Uganda's Central Bank.
- Musa Mansa Elected Mayor of Mbale In May 2011
- Distance between Kampala and Mbale with Map
- Mt. Elgon lies 52 kilometres (32 mi) east of Mbale
- 2002 and 2008 Population Estimates of Ugandan Cities and Towns
- 2011 Estimated Populations of Ugandan Cities And Towns
- PONT Background
- UBA Opened Mbale Branch in December 2008
- Bank of Uganda Maintains Mbale Currency Center