Mbarara High School
|Mbarara High School|
|Mbarara, Mbarara District, Uganda|
|Type||Public Middle School and High School (8-13)|
|Principal||John Agaba Bashungwa|
|Number of students||1,200|
|Athletics||soccer, rugby, track, tennis, volleyball.|
The school is located in the Western Ugandan city of Mbarara, approximately 300 kilometres (190 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala, the capital and largest city in the country. The school campus is located in the suburb of Ruharo, approximately 2 kilometres (1.2 mi), along the Mbarara-Ishaka Road, west of the central business district of Mbarara. The coordinates of MHS are: Latitude:-0.6155S; Longitude:30.6335E.
It was established in 1911 by Anglican, Christian missionaries affiliated with the Church of England. Mbarara High School is the oldest secondary school in Western Uganda. It has both ordinary level and advanced level classes. The land on which the school was built is owned by East Ankole Diocese, of the Church of Uganda. While the church has ownership and control of the school, the Uganda Government, through the Ministry of Education, contributes to the school's budget. The Kumanyana protest movement of the 1940s, which demanded equality for the Bairu people of Ankole with the Hima, had its roots at the school.
Mbarara High School is among the most prestigious schools in Uganda, owing to its excellent academic record.
The school has many alumni, many of whom are active in Uganda's public and private sectors. The notable, among them include the following:
- President Yoweri Museveni - President of Uganda 1986–Present.
- Amanya Mushega - Former Secretary-General of the East African Community.
- General Elly Tumwine - Former Commander of the Army in Uganda (1986 - 1989). Member of Parliament (MP), representing the Uganda People's Defense Force (UPDF) (1986–Present). High-ranking UPDF officer.
Kamugisha Edson Tusiime jackson is a process engineer at pepsi cola Uganda in nakawa industrial area GENERAL TUMWINE NARCIS, currently at Makerere University pursuing a degree in Computer Science. Tuhame Moses K, C.E.O, MT Infotech Ltd MUHAIRWE kenedy currently pursuing a Bachelors degree in Civil Engineering Makerere.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2013)|
- Map Showing Kampala And Mbarara With Distance Marker
- Location of Mbarara High School At Google Maps
- James, Kate. "A History of Ethnic Relations in Ankole, Uganda, during the Colonial Period, 1898-1962". Leeds.ac.uk. University of Leeds. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "Profile of Yoweri Kaguta Museveni". Integrated Regional Information Networks website. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. 2006-02-15. Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- Amanya Mushega Attended Mbarara High School